6.9 - 7.3 transplant

2manydsls

Reaction score
I'm in the process of removing the tired 6.9 IDI from the 84 van in my sig. and replacing it with the 7.3 from the 90 wrecked van that used to be in my sig. Are there any pitfalls I can expect? I am reusing the C6 that is in the van as the computer and wiring harness was ruined in the 90. One item of concern is the extra small radiator hose on the 90. Theres no fitting on the 84's radiator for this hose. Thanks in advance for any help on this project.
Ross

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
the extra small hose you can just omit - what it does is it routes a small portion of the hot coolant to the bottom of the rad so that it helps the transmission temp come up to temp a little quicker in the winter. This is because in the programming for the E4OD the trans will keep slipping the torque converter until a min temp is reached on the trans fluid - then it will allow the tc to lock in. Since you are going with a C6 then it will not be needed.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
What are you doing about the wiring differences? I am putting a 90 7.3 in my 84 F-250 and I cant find a wiring diagram for either truck its driving me crazy!

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of the haynes manuals will have the diesel wiring in the back (Kind of integrated in with the gasser stuff) I used that to wire my 6.9 into a gasser dash and cab. Maybe this will help a little.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of my album links in my sig have some wiring diagrams in them. :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you doing about the wiring differences? I am putting a 90 7.3 in my 84 F-250 and I cant find a wiring diagram for either truck its driving me crazy!

When I put the 7.3 in my '86, I just used the old wiring harness. I used the 6.9 glow plug harness as well. I use 6.9 glow plugs in my 7.3. I have the GP controller on a toggle anyway. One position is the manual pushbutton, the other is the automatic controller. I only use the automatic controller when someone else will drive the truck (like the guy at the Rhino Liner place). But, otherwise, the old harness should work fine.

Heath

2manydsls

Reaction score
Yep, I'm planning on using the old wiring as well. As I'm using the C-6 should simplify this a lot. May have to change the tps on the inj. pump from the 84.
Just about to pull the old eng. Anyone got a gallon of vaseline:hail
Ross

2manydsls

Reaction score
Well the 7.3 is in and running. Gained quite a bit of power. Need to do the following to complete swap. Add coolant filter, aux.transmission filter, adjust FIPL, install manual glow plug button, flush out old oil and trans fluid, install vacuum and pyro gauges.
I actually had to use a large putty knife to shoe horn the valve covers past the foil covered fiber glass insulation.
I"m having a problem getting the oil dipstick back in after checking oil.
Does anyone know of a good tachometer that will hook up to the engine speed sensor mounted in the injection pump drive housing? Thanks for help in this post and in all the forums I've browsed preparing for this project.

It spent the night on the drive and NO dribbles. :thumbsup:
Ross