6.5 n/a van questions

johnvanhorn

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the forum, greetings. I'm looking at purchasing a 1995 G30 van with a 6.5 n/a (125,000) and after some research, I had a few questions that I could not find answers for. My ideal engine would have been the 6.2 J series, but beggars can't be choosers and the price/condition is right on this van. I could see doing a swap to the 6.2 later down the line if need be. Any info would be appreciated.

1. Does the n/a have any fewer issues than the TD? (cracked block, head gasket, PMD overheat, DS4 pump, etc.)
2. I'd like the option to run bio or WVO at some point. Am I SOL?
3. It seems to me that the n/a is more mechanical like the 6.2, is that correct?
4. Anything major to check before the sale?

Thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I could very well be wrong, but I thought all went to the ds-4 at the same time.
I've heard all 6.2/6.5 have the main web cracking. Cept the optimizer? Block.

Why do you prefer the 6.2 over the 6.5?

johnvanhorn

Reaction score
The reason I prefer the 6.2 over the 6.5 is because it is more mechanical and less computer controlled. Also, from what I read the 6.2 seems to be more reliable and gets slightly better mpg. What is unclear to me is whether the reliability shortcomings are mostly a result of adding the turbo, and therefore the 6.5 n/a might not be as prone to breakdown as the 6.5 td?