6.2 questions

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hey all,
Trying to help a guy out with his 6.2 ('83 burban).

I used to have an '82 C20 with the 6.2 and did a fair bit of work to get it running stable (air in lines, new electric pump etc.). Finally got it going and found out the 700R4 tranny in it did not like to tow our horse trailer, even when the trailer was empty. I sold it and went with the 350 in my sig because I didn't want to deal with anything undersized (even though the E4OD is questionable).

I haven't been over to his place yet to check it out yet. His initial questions had to do with air in the lines. I told him I could help him there. He'd just put a set of heads on the engine (unknown at this point if they were used/rebuilt) and couldn't get it to fire up.

He sent this to me today:
"I just did a compression check- and had a quick question- I put new heads on it- I did the compression check on a cold engine since it will not start- all the cylinders read 150-200 except cylinder 1 which read 100- I tested it twice to make sure. "

Now that doesn't sound good to me, at all. Thoughts? cookoo Bad rings in cyl 1? Bad valves in cyl 1? Seems like 150-200 is quite low but I'm not sure. I see some folk testing the IDIs and are getting 350+. Is the compression difference that great between the IDIs & the 6.2s?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.