6.2 been sitting a while...just smokes

danbudy

Reaction score
Engine would not start after sitting a couple of years. A young person had worked on it and given up before my brother bought the suburban.

A local mechanic put new timing gears on it and put the injector pump back into time. He now has it running and thought the smoke would clear up with time. He left and it did not clear up.

The engine just smokes white and won't clear up. My brother ran it a 40 minutes, but it never cleared up.

What do you think this could indicate? What would cause this and what are the easiest ways to make sure that we do not do needless work.

Some one has suggested to us that the pressure regulator could be stuck and need to be whacked for it to start regulating. Their theory is that it is being flooded with fuel.

But does this cause white smoke?

Dan.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site.
if you're not consuming water then your injection pump is retarded severely.
there is no adjustable fuel pressure reg on the pump.

danbudy

Reaction score
I had been to the site once before, ya'll hooked me up with a vaccuum diagram for my dad's 1989 diesel. Now he has HVAC controls again... Thanks.

Well, I am going to get the batteries and cables put back into it. They had been removed to try and start another nearly identical burb, that is locked up. Once back in I guess I will have the mechanic take another swing at it.

My dad is old school diesel. He used to work on detroit, international, big rigs. I guess some of them had regulators, I am totally unfamiliar with anything that is not 4-cylinder. I am willing to learn, but this "real steel" is so different, that I am uncomfortable just diving in, without knowing what is up.

I need a repair manual, or a link. The burb will also back up but not go forward, go figure. It is 4 wheel drive and has a something 700 transmission in it. My friends burb with the locked up diesel motor has a 400 something trans that has overdrive.

Does only going in reverse imply that the trans is shot? Could it be from setting? My friend has given the second burb as a donor for the trans and whatever else, but then the first burb would be four wheel drive only. Not a big deal either way, it's just to drive and some light towing.

Any suggestions. My brother said that he didn't notice it drinking water during the relatively short forty minute run, but anything is possible. He got it for $500 and was told that it was running until the injection pump went out two years ago, and it was then installed off time. The mobile mechanic we had out was supposed to have fixed this, and replaced the timing gears.

Any ideas are apreciatted. It may be a week or so to get the second burb over, side by side, so that the batterries and cables, ect can be swapped out. Then it is on....

Thanks, Dan.

PS, why so many old wreckers? I thought you guys only ran the new stuff? Love the avatar. It does bear a second glance....

danbudy

Reaction score
I am there on the first three... Especially on number two!

I will try to update what happens next. I am getting another injection pump, and trying to find a manual to make sure everything is good.

I have gleaned a lot of info out of the old threads here. This site is really great.

Thanks, D.