6.0 acting up and stumbling

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have an 04 and it is being really weird. All of a sudden it is stumbling and missing and blowing greyish smoke out the tailpipe. It has an egr delete and studs. No CEL is on so no codes to check. Idk what it up with this thing nothing i do will change what it does. Filters and oil have been changed in the last 3k so i dontthink that is the problem. Any help yall.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the time I am leaning towards bad injectors or a faulty FICM. Idk the FICM is checking out ok????

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you run any of the diagnostics on it? Like a contrib, buzz or leakdown test. That would help determine if it is the injectors. It could be the FICM... I have heard the latest "inductive heating" flash that helps with the cold start/no power smoke issue seemed to be ******* a few FICM's and a few died the fall/winter after the flash was issued. I would think if it was a FICM it would be either good or dead, that I what I remember reading about.. Truck was fine, then just dead..... Crank no start..... replace the FICM $$$$$$$$ and all was good. If you have a scanner I would see if you could run the tests on them.

How many miles, what mods besided studs and EGR? IS the turbo behaving as you would expect? Could the Veins be stuck causing and "improper fueling for boost amount" condition...... either an over/under boost condition. I know the veins will stick and cause all kinds of issues......

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have a way to run any test other than just ur basic code reader i dont think it ca run any test that i know of. Ive had the truck for 18 months and it has not been in for any ford maintence stuff. As far as mods i run it on looney tunes from time to time but for the most part it stays on stock settings. As far the turbo i guess i could pull it off and give it a good cleanning, but i never noticed it doing anything abnormal. The missing almost feels like the ICP sensor has gone bad but i get no CEL i have had that problem already.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out on a whim and changed the ICP sensor problem fixed. The protective heat sheild wasnt on all the way maybe that cooked it idk though.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Where is your ICP located? On the Passenger side front oil rail, or on the back under the turbo? Glad to hear you got it fixed.....

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under the turbo. Ive done it quite a few times on various fords it takes me longer to pull everything off then to change the ICP.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you have changed one in that location. How do you go about doing it? My ICP threw a CEL at one point and I have a small occasional oil leak from the back of the engine. I know it is buried back there. I have heard you get at it from the top, from the bottom, remove the cab..... But in the "real world" how do you go about changing it? I probally need to, and the pigtail also.....

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i first tried from under the truck no dice ive got large hands and it was pretty much impossible. Over the top is the easiest for me. I find it easier to unplug the TPR connector and the back bolt that holds the intake manifold on, if not it WILL make you bleed. The connector is really easy to change out also just cut and splice.