55 Buick Cummins swap. The Bummins

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it may be still applicable here,
you did convert from a diesel project back to a gasser.
nowhere in the title does it specify which way the conversion is supposed to go?

i vote to keep posting also.
even tho youre using an LS
which i dont really care for, but im not on here to see things ive done, im here to see what other people are doing.
keep chippin away on the 4more. ;Sweet

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's that out of? I had a 5.3 in a half ton GMC that was a great little motor.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was a 99. That truck was the closest thing I have had to a hotrod really. It pulled a IH travelall up Mont Eagle mountain coming out of Chattanooga TN on a Uhaul trailer at 55-60 and could gain anytime I wanted. That's like 13 miles of 6% plus. I'd still have the truck if it hadn't kept eating transfer cases. It tossed an oil seal and destroyed the front diff once too. Engine was great. Rest of the truck not so much.

At one time I had a 67 C10 short bed fleet side picked out for a 5.3 swap but being the poor student I was at the time, I was a day late on the truck.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was a 99. That truck was the closest thing I have had to a hotrod really. It pulled a IH travelall up Mont Eagle mountain coming out of Chattanooga TN on a Uhaul trailer at 55-60 and could gain anytime I wanted. That's like 13 miles of 6% plus. I'd still have the truck if it hadn't kept eating transfer cases. It tossed an oil seal and destroyed the front diff once too. Engine was great. Rest of the truck not so much.

At one time I had a 67 C10 short bed fleet side picked out for a 5.3 swap but being the poor student I was at the time, I was a day late on the truck.

Man I can't wait to get this one in there.
Nice and quiet power on demand.
Did u notice the orange truck in the back ground? That's an IH

GunnerJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, I was going to compliment you on your nice bum but it's gone by the wayside

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old timer who blasted my panels gave me some advice when I asked him about super smooth mud work after ur metal work.
I always find myself chasing low spots.
He said hang up the air board and get out the ol' hand sander. And you have to cover the whole panel or at least a very large area. I used to just putty up each dent individually. So it looks like a whole gallon on the one door. But I doubt it's even 1/8" thick anywhere.
What a difference. What used to take me a whole weekend or more and tons of materials took one night.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you know this but a trick I learned when using a long board for sanding was lightly mist spray paint on the bondo so you can see when you have the highs down and level with the rest.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you know this but a trick I learned when using a long board for sanding was lightly mist spray paint on the bondo so you can see when you have the highs down and level with the rest.

I used some spray on VHT vinyl dye that worked great. Thanks!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen that truck around on FB I think. I think the old IH trucks are neat but they are down too far on my list to worry about right now. The look on the guys face when I pulled in hauling that thing with my half ton truck was priceless. The scout travelall had come from the middle east. It had a luggage rack on top of it that had been hand made over there. It had giant sand floatation tires on it when my buddy bought it. It was in rough shape. He bought it for parts to manual swap his scout and get rid of the failing 727.

Anyway long and the short of it is, that will be a nice power plant for that car. Opens up transmission options too.

I bought a set of the stiff foam sanding blocks that I have been waiting to try out. Supposed to be the cats meow for blocking out a fender. Guess we will find out. I have a little of that to do myself.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen that truck around on FB I think. I think the old IH trucks are neat but they are down too far on my list to worry about right now. The look on the guys face when I pulled in hauling that thing with my half ton truck was priceless. The scout travelall had come from the middle east. It had a luggage rack on top of it that had been hand made over there. It had giant sand floatation tires on it when my buddy bought it. It was in rough shape. He bought it for parts to manual swap his scout and get rid of the failing 727.

Anyway long and the short of it is, that will be a nice power plant for that car. Opens up transmission options too.

I bought a set of the stiff foam sanding blocks that I have been waiting to try out. Supposed to be the cats meow for blocking out a fender. Guess we will find out. I have a little of that to do myself.

I have the whole set of stiff foam blocks. I love them.
Gonna have the pcm tuned for a 5 speed and run a th400 or 700r4.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the doors in primer. I'll sand them tonight till it looks like glass then seal them