5.9 12V swap into a Ford...got questions

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Right now I have a Powerstroke, but eventually I may swap a Cummins into it. It is a 1997 F-350 Crewcab. I plan to use a 97 or 98 Cummins 12V for the swap. My question revolves around OBD-II stuff. I realize the Cummins is non-computer controlled, but did these trucks have an OBD-II port for other diagnostic purposes or not. If I do this conversion, I want a clean install with no "loose ends." I'm also not sure about the factory computer on my truck. Not sure if my speedo, tach, etc. goes through all of that, or if I can seperate the wiring completely from the PCM.
Any insight is appreciated. BTW, this is just a dream right now. My PSD is running good and I'm still modding it, but if anything happens to that engine and the body/frame are still in great shape.......I'll be loosing 2 cylinders, dropping 1.4 liters and gaining a bunch of power :D
Thanks,
Jerry

SKimballC

Reaction score
If you haven't already, check out www.cummins-conversion.com, its run by a member from over here. There's some info over there. Also, do a search for Auto World in Montana, I think its www.autoworldmt.com, they do conversions and sell parts for your swap. Call up Ken or Donna and they can enlighten you on any questions. Also try www.destroked.com, they sell adapter plates and a couple odds and ends.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok buddy I see that we think alike.....ive already done some research....the speedo is run off the ring gear of the tach....;Sweet ....i heard the alternator is almost a direct bolt in...keyword ALMOST...:rolleyes: ....i havent heard too much about the AC compressor but I hear they sell brackets for em..,;Sweet ...I heard engine mounts can be made easily...;Sweet .... they make a bracket to make the stock tach work...;Sweet .... they also make an adapter plate...for $700.00!!!!!!-cuss ... other than that its ok...most people use the dodge rad to make the intercooler work... i dont know about the serp belt but I take it that you use the stock one with the new ford accessories....if you know ANYONE who has boughten an adapter bracket PLEASE let me know because I will pay them to make a tepmlet for me because I would much rather make it myself than buy one...in trying to do this as cheap as possible....if you do the swap anytime soon keep me informed

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. My plans have changed slightly. I still have the 97, but I bought a 93 as well. Plan to do an IDI to Cummins conversion. Mechanically, it's still the basic same swap. As for the adapter for the tranny........if you can get a hold of one to get dimensions, I will gladly pay to have one made, if you are making one. I have AutoCAD (I used to be a 3D cad guy) anyway, I could draw it up for CNC. Maybe we can work something out.;Sweet
Jerry

ok buddy I see that we think alike.....ive already done some research....the speedo is run off the ring gear of the tach....;Sweet ....i heard the alternator is almost a direct bolt in...keyword ALMOST...:rolleyes: ....i havent heard too much about the AC compressor but I hear they sell brackets for em..,;Sweet ...I heard engine mounts can be made easily...;Sweet .... they make a bracket to make the stock tach work...;Sweet .... they also make an adapter plate...for $700.00!!!!!!-cuss ... other than that its ok...most people use the dodge rad to make the intercooler work... i dont know about the serp belt but I take it that you use the stock one with the new ford accessories....if you know ANYONE who has boughten an adapter bracket PLEASE let me know because I will pay them to make a tepmlet for me because I would much rather make it myself than buy one...in trying to do this as cheap as possible....if you do the swap anytime soon keep me informed