5.4 tritan skipping

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5.4 skipped real bad for months and we couldn't figure out the problem eventually it got so bad it started stalling out and we had to take it off the road 6 months later I was playing around with the wires and found out it was a bad cylinder head temp sensor. That was telling the computer it was overheating which cuts 4 cylinders to use as air pumps too cool it down. I unplugged the sensor and it's been fine ever since

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
on my v-10 I had a litle miss, swapped coils from one cylinder to another, miss got worse, ended up bieng a few bad coils,
MODE 6 is your friend here for missfires, it will register there before you will get a p 300-308 code.
also check your fuel injector faults,
Ive had more than one that the clips broke on and had to zippie tie them in.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have had a lot of them in the shop. They do eat coils but they seem to fry them for different reasons. The #4 gets coolant on it from a leaking heater hose. Some of them have interesting lower intake and head gasket issues. Some of them the spark plug doesn't shoot out but works its way out enough to throw misfires, but not enough to shoot it out. I tell my customers to google their 5.4 and call me in the morning :( Have also had two fry injectors from sucking up water from puddles, it leaking out of the air box/throttle body onto the completely unprotected harness and fry out the injector.

Ford bought TWO different 5.4 back from my father, an 04 and then an 08.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online