47RE to NV4500

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
How hard is this swap? my good friend has a 97 with the 47Re(I think) and it is starting to slip and he was thinking about going to the NV4500, how hard is this swap and how hard are parts to find?

wayfarnorth

Reaction score
I haven't done it to a Dodge but with a small car. I went the other way, swapped out the 5 speed for an automatic and it was kinda a pain. I was lucky enough to be able to get all the parts I needed from a scrap yard. I think you'd be needing a bell housing for the clutch, then you'd have to add a master cylinder and a clutch pedal, cut holes in the floor for the shifter. Possibly have to change the drive shafts because I think the auto tranny is longer than the NV4500. Personally I think it would be easier to build a new auto tranny thats bullet proof. Would most likely be the same cost and less screwing around.

LostSoul

Reaction score
I would suggest that if you are seriously going to do this, that you get your hands on a parts vehicle. You will need Cross member, drive shaft, Clutch kit and master, flywheel, lines, pedal etc. These items along with some smaller items are much easier to grab off a Donner then to try and find individually. Not to mention, when you are three quarters of the way through the job and you go OH **** I forgot about this and you are stalled it sucks. BTW I am not suggesting using a used clutch, but it is good to have for Mock up and to make sure you are getting the proper new parts.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
Yeah, if were gonna do this its gonna be all new parts, ive done swaps before like stuffing a 502ci BBC and a 6speed T56 in to a 57 Chevy but the bellhousing and parts are pretty easy to find, i was just curious if anyone had experience on doing this for the cummins