460 to 6.9 swap - update.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've put a few miles on the 6.9 now - here are my findings....MPG is 15 imperial, pretty consistantly.....Double what the 460 was getting.:rolleyes:....The truck is working well, temp is around 200-210 all the time even with 3-tons in the bed....Oil pressure is about 15psi hot at idle, 40 rolling down the road - she uses some oil, not noticable out the tailpipe but it uses 3 times as much as my 7.3 did and the 7.3 had over double the mileage on it. The power is ok, not great but good enough for what I use the truck for. The T19 flywheel is working well with the ZF....No vibrations or issues. The old Ford will roll some serious coal under anything over 1/2 throttle.:D....I blame that on the reman injectors and reman 7.3 IP.....I have the stuff to make a 4" stack when I get some time to get the smoke off the road ( I haven't had a tailgater in 5 months):rotflmao. I have some odd's and ends to finish this fall but over all I will call it a good result for the time/money spent. I have the IP advanced 1/2 the width of the timing marks - I checked all the GP's last weekend - all still working.;Sweet....Doesn't seem to be any "glow plug death by advanced timing" so far. Once I get the 7.3T home I will make my decision on what I will do with it - the extra torque would be nice with 3-ton in the back but building an IDI from hell would be fun too.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice.. did you leave the EFI harness in place?

What solutions didja coe to on the gauges?

I am the "hook it up and run it" stage on mine.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Nice.. did you leave the EFI harness in place?

What solutions didja coe to on the gauges?

I am the "hook it up and run it" stage on mine.

I left the ecm in place, just bypassed what I needed to....Mostly just the starter wires if I remember right.

I never bothered to hook up my factory idiot gauges, I have a pillar pod with 3 electric Sunpro gauges....My factory voltmeter still works. I might get to the factory gauges this winter if I have time, no real panic on them.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BRT, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that the 6.9 had non positive valve stem seals and some issues with the oil scraper ring, especially if the engine was broken in too easy or it was carboned up from years of not being worked. IH and Ford even said 1 qt per 500 miles was acceptable oil useage in a NEW 6.9 so yes your results are not surprising. I'm guessing to really make you happy you might need to swap in your 12V instead. If you think a bit more power would do it, I'd say a turbo'ed intercooled 6.9 would be what you need. Since you have the expertise to do all this stuff yourself and Goofy to help you out and some family that also enjoys wrenching this should be something you could get done provided the time and money is in the budget. Midnight rider said the 12 V swap isn't that hard. The turbo kit probably wouldn't be too hard either if it's something not too exotic. Don't ask me about an intercooler. Apparently I suck at working in that area of the engine, as I couldn't even get the AC condenser's swapped that easily.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The 6.9 oil consumption doesn't bother me, oil getting past a joint/seal is "lubrication in action" in my mind. I'm trying to save my Cummins for another project, I want to build a stepside 92-03 body style F150 with a Cummins...2wd, all black everything -wheels, grill and the works....2 stainless stacks in the box just below the cab roof and a 400+HP little 12V under the hood....A summer driver with smoke and balls....Just an idea I've been rolling around in my head, otherwise the 12v will end up in the dually someday.

steeldriver

Reaction score
i am considering swaping a 460 to a 6.9 diesel. i was getting 15 mpg average with the 460 but the motor is worn down and needs rebuilt. i found a 6.9l and considering putting it in. any information helps, i am not sure what the swap would involve.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add more info like year of truck etc, there's a few of us doing/done swaps. Russ's truck is up and running, looked like the gasser wiring was still there, this guy obviously left the gasser wiring in place, I swapped it all out in a OBS truck since I had the parts readily available.

steeldriver

Reaction score
it is a 1996 F250 with a 460 and a e40d trans. the trans is solid and overbuilt. i have a 4 core radiator already in the truck and a dual oil filter and a huge oil cooler. i also have a large trans cooler.

steeldriver

Reaction score
its a engine oil cooler. i put it in to help with the engine oil burning, it also helped the oil pressure some.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you plan to redrill that trans for the correct bolt pattern?
I'm not sure how true it was or how it worked out for him but I read on another forum about a guy running the in tank pumps on his idi. Don't know if he put in a regulator before the IP because of the lack of detail. It's fairly common knowledge around here not to over pressurize the IP and those in tank pumps are capable of a lot more then you'd ever want to throw at it. I swapped tanks,lines with tank selector valve. Found it to be the most correct thing to do.

steeldriver

Reaction score
i will either re drill or try to find a adapter. i might use the 2 fuel tanks i have and reroute them to the primary diesel tank. so the 2 would dump into the 1. this way i don't have to do anything but put new lines in and a on and off switch. i dont know if the in tanks pumps can hold up with diesel but it doesn't matter. the motor is in a van and i don't know how the fuel tank is in that one or the shape or size. i am going to reroute the exhaust to the outside and might have to take and reshape the corner of the floor on the passenger side or might put a body lift. the exhaust will run on the outside of thee frame rail. the batteries will be moved to the back also and considering putting a second battery in for additional lights. i am going to rebuild the front clip differently also to make it easier to work on. i am just lacking alot of technical information. i know i could put this together but like to have everything planned and all the deatails before i get started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online