4500 rpms in your IDI???

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely have to design (not build, design) an engine to rev super high. I remember when the YZF400s first came out and the 2 stroke versus 4 stroke debates really started. The early YZFs were 12:1 compression and rev'd past 11,000 rpms. A single 4 stroke engine that rev'd that high was pretty insane, but when you see a piston out of one there's literally no skirt on it. They were considered to be heavy at first, but there's no debating all that RPM made up for the "extra strokes" versus the old premixers. High rev's only make sense if they make power up there, and I would agree that diesel's are a bad place for a high redline.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Volumetric efficiency of the head is probably really lacking that high in the RPM's. You can overcome that with boost, more as the VE drops...but then we are already at the disadvantage of having high compression. I don't see anything wrong with spinning one of these up that high as long as the valvetrain is up to par, and you have forced induction and a lot of boost. Otherwise, I don't see the point.