4 Inch Exhaust Build Plan

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Well, it looks right at home on my truck. You can see the entire rear half of the frame and everything else involved with it so a chunk of 3" pipe looked right at home there.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
why not just buy a rolled 4 in 90 and have it stretched at an exhaust shop so it will slip over the over the axle piece and that can be your exit pipe. I dont see why people want pre fabbed kits much cheaper and easier to get what you want when you build it your self. do you have an exhaust shop, or even better a big rig shop around you, talk to them and they can likely hook you up with whatever you want.

I know I just bought a stick of 4 in aluminized exhaust pipe from the local exhaust shop and the guy charged me like 30 bucks to bend up the over the axle piece and I went home and reduced the 4 in to 3 in on one end(had a short piece of three in that slipped over the od of the stock exhaust perfect.) and then just cut a straight section long enough to go from tranny crossmember to over the axle run and then another straight piece that went from over axle out. mine exits at a 45, you have material to weld stainless exhaust because a normal mig or short arc wont do it?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i don't have any big rig shops around me. the only exhaust shops around me are primarliy auto repair shops that also "do" exhaust. i doubt they could mandrel bend 4inch pipe and not screw it up.

I don't even have a welder........Yet. it is on the list of toys to buy.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
A normal MIG will weld stainless just fine. The weld will rust though if it isn't painted.

Almost all auto exhaust shops can't bend 4" pie, I think most of them do 3" at the max.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i love having a school bus comapny right around the corner. they will bend up anything i want in 4 inch.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
A normal MIG will weld stainless just fine. The weld will rust though if it isn't painted.

Almost all auto exhaust shops can't bend 4" pie, I think most of them do 3" at the max.

will it melt it... yes. will the weld hold? very doubtfull if it is taking much stress at all, carbon steel will not bond to stainless.

a normal mig with stainless wire and i believe you have to have argon gas not 100% on that but i think.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a local guy who will do 4 5 or 6 bending and hes an auto shop lol

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
will it melt it... yes. will the weld hold? very doubtfull if it is taking much stress at all, carbon steel will not bond to stainless.

Carbon steel wire bonds to stainless pipe just fine BTDT...the weld will rust is the only issue. Since this is exhaust and not structural welding that it's not "right" isn't a problem.

:cheers:

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.