3g swap question before I go with it

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys just want to make sure I have this correct. I have read the yellow wire can get taking to the back of the alternator with the power plug with the main power wire or ran to fender solinoid ? So basically the only wire that is good from the regulator is the green wire cut that off as close as you can get to the plug splice the green wire from the new alternator into the old green wire and basically that is it?

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you! Is the green wire from the alternator going into the old orange wire? Or was that just a wire that you had to splice in between the two green wires

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
goes to the orange wire, to the F terminal on the voltage regulator

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks! not sure why but I have also heard it goes to the green wire into the plug for your voltage meter in the truck. have you heard this also? There are so many different variations I get confused with everything. I think I will go ahead and do it the way that you did so really the only wire that you will save also the voltage regulator harness is the orange wire?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i only know the way mine charges.
my light stays on, b ut it does charge

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I got it switched over but when I multimeter my batteries I'm still getting 12.5 volts? Inside reads the same