$2700 for drop-in 6.9L's?

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
This ad keep coming up on the Portland, OR Craigslist. The ad has alot of discrepancies.. I wonder how they're selling drop-in rebuilds for $2700... It's got a portland phone number that traces to a truck parts place, making me believe its not just spam

**6.9 Ford Diesel** - $2700 (Portland)

Priced to sell. 1998 thru 1992 Remanufactured Ford Diesel 6.9 These engines are complete minus the Starter, Altenator, and Flywheel housing. We donot require a core. Please respond by e-mail, or you can call between the hours of. (503)-289-2030

Attachments

• 691.jpg
    691.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 692.jpg
    692.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 693.jpg
    693.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 694.jpg
    694.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 40

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds a little pricey maybe. could almost get a cummins for that, granted not brand new, but still

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I keep seeing this ad as well. Makes me wonder though just how good they are if, for one, they say it's for a 1998-1992, obviously meaning 1988-1992, which is still incorrect even for a 7.3. Also, one would think they should know the actual years a 6.9 were made for.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno,
Seen weirder things on craigslist before than this. Sometimes people have things and just REALLY don't know what they are and therefore can't make a proper description, let alone, a price. They very well could be genuine quality re-mans that ended up being in the back of a warehouse for the past 15-20 years and someone just wants them gone..............and doesn't even know what they are.
I actually ended up with some new WeatherGuard toolboxes back a few years ago by finding an ad on craigslist that offered them for sale with no description, just a phone #. Turns out, they were new in the crates and sitting in the sellers father in laws garage that had just passed and they were trying to get them out of the way. I gave $100 for nearly $3,000 worth of diamond plate toolboxes. Best deal I ever got in my life.
Just proves that some people just don't know what they have............

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This actually is a good deal. You could not do a rebuilt cheaper than this offer. If I were to buy this I would tear it down and have a look see at what was and was not done. A set of gaskets is cheaper than installing a rattle can overhaul any day...:sly A set of rebuilt heads, a machined block, a set of injectors either new or rebuilt, pistons and rings plus gaskets... Then throw in an injection pump.... Deal... Might be a good idea to find out what the block number is too...

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely worth a phone call. Just today lunch, I happened to run into a Ford mechanic in the grocery store and, seeing the dealer uniform, bombarded him with my usual question of will his dealer or anyone he knows work on an '86 6.9. He chuckled and replied that they only work on 6.0's and 6.4s anymore, and asked, "is the 6.9 what they had in '86?"

Pro Mar is selling 7.3s on eBay for something like $3100, and that was the cheapest I'd seen for a full rebuild that anyone stood by.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
A set of gaskets is cheaper than installing a rattle can overhaul any day...:sly

THAT'S what I was wondering about. But the fact they don't want a core makes me believe this is just something they had sitting around, and not a fly by night operation. I've been waiting for Gary to chime in on this one ;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If I didn't owe the feds and state $24,000.00 in income taxs I would buy this just for a look see. Whats the worst it can be for this price....:dunno

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'd have that much money invested in having a machine shop rebuild one for you, if you gave them a good core to start with. So, I think it's a good deal if that's what you're looking for.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you call on it make sure you ask what the block serial numbers are. It might be an early 6.9 or even a 7.3 block. Either way the numbers will tell you all you need to know about the block.