2004 6.0 upgrades for towing?

SigDude67

Reaction score
Hey I have a 04 f250 wanting to upgrade. Not looking to get too extreme, but new to the diesels. Do the sct tuners come with tunes preloaded? Should I really worry about the tranny? I want to tow my 27' boat and 35' 5er more comfortably. ( No not at the same time). Any feedback is appreciated.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the SCT comes with preloaded tunes from the factory. You really need to get gauges before you start with tuning mods though, at a bare minimum an EGT gauge. The tranny (assuming you have the 5R110) is a solid unit and the SCT does has some programmable points for tranny response as well.

Just an FYI.... The SCT has been known to make your head studs too long.

SigDude67

Reaction score
Thanks for the info..Next question. How difficult is it to change the fuel filters on the 6.0 psd? Do I have to worry about getting air in the fuel system? Will it start and run or do I have to do anything to it other than remove n replace then turn the key?

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace them cycle the key three times letting the pump stop each time. Fired it up and go.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Give dp Tuner a call and tell Jody what you want the truck to do, he'll hook you up. Eliminate the EGR, that is what gives the 6.0 the most problems because of the heat. Put a good exhaust system on it from front to back, and uncork the intake with a good cold air package.
The 6.0s biggest weakness is the 4 bolts per cylinder holding the heads down. The 7.3 PSD had 5 bolts and don't pop the gaskets unless you do something stupid. The fix is to get a set of ARP studs and get them installed, once that's done you don't have any more issues.
Any thing that can be done to help manage the heat better in these engines will make them last longer. Elite Diesel plays with these things all the time and there are articles in Diesel Power that you must read so you can get an understanding about these engines.
I am an advocate of Evans Coolant, if for no other reason than it will make the engine more reliable and thermally stable. No additives needed, super high boiling point, lasts for 10 years, evens out the temps in the block and heads so that things stay together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online