2000 psd clunk in front end

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
my dads truck, 4x4.
i would swear all day long that this sound would be ball joints. well their brand new, so we replaced the shocks too cause the old ones were rusted out.

the sound happends when you hit bumps like on a rock driveway, it sounds like the damn wheel is gonna come off.

he's checked about everything he can, and i say "about" because its not been solved yet.

wheel bearings have been replaced, rubber malleted everything we could under the front end to see obvious wear. nothing.

looked under the hood for stuff wobbling around. nothing.

has anyone had a mysterious clunk noise that wasnt something that would be normal to check out?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
sway bar bushings. mine does the same thing. i haven't fixed it yet because it's not really a safety issue but it is annoying.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check for a small Volkswagen lodged between the wheel and fender.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
mikes comment was the best, but tonka, is that detcord??? funny stuff, but hey, i wasnt the one wanting so badly to waste money by buying your 2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Dually SLT 2WD :rotflmao. seriously though ill check the sway bar bushings, thanks for the reply's. and ill keep ya posted if thats not it.

by the way, can i obviously see the wear in these bushings?? as in can i take the damn bar and move it around, or do i have to take it apart?

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sway bar ends

I spent more time driving to and from the parts idiot than acually fixing the sway bar end. Take the bar diamiter and the parts to the parts store. several different on go on the truck.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Its been a while, but we found the problem today. Sway bar extensions. I wasnt perfectly clear when you guys told me the bushings, i was figuring the ones coming off the front axle. Those are tight but when we rubber malletted everything we heard the imfamous noise.

$150 from ford for both extension bars and about 15 mins of work. It was so easy, thanks for pointing me into the right direction even though it took me a while to pinpoint the issue. I had thought that it would be individual bushings like the kind you can pick up anywhere, but the extensions are one unit, with the bushings also acting like ball joints.

So anyway, thanks for the help guys.

donnie4720

Reaction score
ive had the same clunking in my 02 f250. i havnt found any bugs though so it must be sway bar bushings. you guys are a big help. thanks

former 82nd paratrooper