$2,000 for a transmission rebuild?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The original owner used it to tow his fifth wheel around. Gave it to his grandson who rebuilt the transmission but supposedly never drove it. I bought it from him assuming the transmission had been rebuilt fairly recent.

The fluid stays nice and clean and I had it serviced 3,000 miles ago, and have never had a problem with it until now.

The truck sounds like you are driving over rumble strips when you go up hill. But when you are on flat ground slowly accelerating, or holding a constant speed it runs fine. Hard vibration occurs when going up hill, or under medium acceleration (enough to drop it down a gear)

It's called converter shudder. The converter clutch can't hold the load so it starts slipping. This can get ugly pretty quick.

Chances are the rebuild used a stock spec rebuilt converter. Not the greatest thing in the world. The tranny could have issues too. Something is causing the converter fail.

DragRag

Reaction score
I would try just putting in a torque converter first. Your trans is pretty low mileage still, and should last longer then that depending on how they treated it with that trailer behind it. A couple hundred isn't a lot to spend on a test verses 2k. Save 90% and try the T Q first, your going to buy one anyway with the trans job. If all else fails spend another $1800 on the trans.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rebuilding the E40D is not that hard, have you thought about rebuilding it yourself? i have done a few and never had any problems, but the upgrades are a must.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
C'mon Icanfixall's gotta be lurking around this thread somewhere ;Poke;Poke;Poke
Ask him about his trans build (just make sure you have a chair nearby when he tells you the price)

I'd have to go with Goofy on this one, I'm rockin the ZF-5 too. At least they only have reverse problems LOL

Chappy

Reaction score
you are right midnightblade that guy had the same problem. I took the dust plate off and it looks like the original TC, dropped the pan and the fluid looks pretty, doesn't smell bad and the magnet doesnt look like a chia pet! I'll let you know if changing the TC fixes it. Any suggestions for my new converter?

thanks again everyone

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT just install a different converter. Get a good quality rebuild, add a shift kit or updated valvebody, and a Stallion or similar converter. A triple disc converter is overkill, but it'll feel like a completely different truck with it, plus comes with limited lifetime warranty. A nicely redone E4OD is an awesome trans. They are turns stock, tho.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to use the heavy duty billet t.c, single disc. I don't buy the triple disc model because it is just to much coin.

But the valvebody mods required to lock the single offset the cost. The major flaw to any stock single disc converter is insufficient lockup line pressures. Triple disc has more surface area to offset pressures needed.

DragRag

Reaction score
Kas83, nice truck in the avatar by the way. My simple answer to you statement is, I don't do valve body mods therefore a single disc is fine for my trucks. And to Compu Doc, if I had just one truck that I wanted to make the ultimate truck with tons of mods I would consider that. Our idi's though don't make enough power even moded to really warrant or need a tripple disc in my opinion. I have had a few powersmokes as well and the single disc held up in those just fine. I am a heavy user with many trucks on the road, just short of 20 trucks now. The math for me just doesn't make sense for me to spend $650 on a T.C. when I can get one for a third of that that works just fine. Over a period of time with that many trucks on the road at one time economically it is debilitating to spend extra money on mods like that. I run a business, my trucks are not toys more or less. I do have one truck thought I spend to much money on, my personal work truck and I tow a lot with it so it has a ZF5 in it.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
C'mon Icanfixall's gotta be lurking around this thread somewhere ;Poke;Poke;Poke
Ask him about his trans build (just make sure you have a chair nearby when he tells you the price)

I'd have to go with Goofy on this one, I'm rockin the ZF-5 too. At least they only have reverse problems LOL

The BTS tranny is worth every bit of the big price tag. It will take all the abuse you can throw at it.:thumbsup: The IDI will break before the tranny.:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welll here I am... I do have a BTS built E4OD trans with a triple disc converter. Yes it was expensive but I will never hopefully wear it down. The cost was around $4800.00 with shipping and flexplate from Leadhill Arkansas to the west coast. A single plate torque converter works very well for a long time. They have 25 square inches of friction material where the BTS triple disc converter has 150 square inches of friction material... How an idi could ever hurt one of those is just never going to happen. Now if you read my signiture you will see I also have a Gear Vendors bolted up behind the BTS trans... Yes, that was new and installed by me also... So there is another $3000.00 but... I have what I wanted.... I have 7 choices of forward gears to choose from when driving and you bt... I use all of them. I can be in 2nd over and make plenty of power and rpm to stay up with traffic in town. Freeway driving I can be in double overdrive that looks like this....:D:angel:

Attachments

• DSC00194.jpg
    DSC00194.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00195.jpg
    DSC00195.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 13