1998 Dodge Ram 3500

Skysoldier47

Reaction score

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l cummins that when going about 60-65 mph the automatic transmission shifts down from overdrive to 3rd gear when loaded going up steep, but not impossible passes such as White Pass on Hwy 12 in Washington, and then continues to slow down to about 30 mph like it is not getting fuel or has a governor on it after it shifts down. Does anyone else have this problem and what do I need to do to fix it, besides get a manual transmission?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What revs are you turning in 3rd gear? There is a govenor on the engine.... maybe it is hitting that.....

Skysoldier47

Reaction score
Thanks Scott

I had the problem checked by a local and he is going to replace the gov sending unit and solonoid. I pick it up tomorrow.

Dave

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
them O/D trans have input and output sensors and if the readings pick up a difference the trans will downshift ... to prevent trans from being torn up ... it is a safety built into the computer ... as soon as the computer senses the tranny slipping it automaticaly downshifts ... If your engine is turned up more than the factory fuel plate will allow the trans cant hold the torque and thus the downshift ... how is your water temp holding on a pull ... just out of curiosity ... is it a 12 or 24 valve ... 98 was a split year ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86