1996 DT466 (P-pump style bosch pump)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I drive a heavy duty International 4900 tandem dump truck, with a 190 horsepower DT466 and Eaton 8LL in it. Not a bad motor and transmission.....until you come to any type of a hill....this truck can SMELL a hill coming for miles. I lose gears going up hill EMPTY....Ive had loaded trucks pass me when I was empty. It's GVWR is 26 000 kgs and should have something like a 400 big cam or N14 select plus as an engine and not a dt466 with only 190 horse tune on it.

The Injection pump is almost identical to a P pump found on the 1994-1998 12v cummins. You guys are the pros here as I drive a 1993 7.3 IDI Ford...so I am at your mercy!

If I remove the AFC housing, remove the fuel plate and turn the "star wheel" to loosen the spring, and then install my factory fuel plate all the way forward under the AFC housing, what kind of horsepower gain am I going to get? Would it be worth the work to do this?

The engine is intercooled and runs like a top. The only reason I am doing this is because the truck usually hauls 17-18 ton loads of gravel out of a gravel pit and I am sick of downshifting like a mad man when I get to the hills. I know it's not going to perform like a twin turbo C13 cat or anything, but ANY power gain I can get I will take!