1993 E350 coolant line questions (first time posting here)

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. First time posting here. Seems like the best IDI forum. Got a couple questions....On a 1993 E350 (Diesel of course) is there supposed to be a heater control valve in the heater core supply line? My truck has one of those cooling system flushing "T"s in the heater core hose and I'm thinking there's supposed to be a heater control valve there. Can anybody verify this?

The reason for asking.....There is also a factory "T" (hoses are crimped, so probably not rig job) installed up stream in the heater supply line with the side port of the "T" connected to the bottom of the radiator. I see no season for this "T" unless there is supposed to be a heat control valve in that line also.......the factory installed "T" maintaining coolant flow from the right side head when the heat control valve is closed.

I recently got this truck because I needed a good tow vehicle.......my Ranger just doesn't cut it anymore. I've slowly been fixing the problems with the truck so that it's dependable.

Thanks for any help,
Dave

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Welcome, Dave. Glad to know there's another IDI E-350 out there. Pretty rare these days, as most all non-U-Hauls were used up and crushed years ago. Especially when engine or E4OD replacement was compared to a more powerful PS.

Good excuse for me to go out and lift the hood on my '92. Nope, as I remembered: no heater control valve on my hoses. I do have a flushing tee, and a tee on the lower line, which connects to a smaller hose that runs to a downpipe leading to a fitting on the lower radiator.

Hope this helps, Dave. Anymore E-350 fans out there? Raise those skinned knuckles and stand proud! LOL

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory coolant line with the T sends coolant to the bottom of the rad where the trans cooler is located to help warm the trans up quicker in cold weather.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

idi_econoline: I think this van was a FedEx truck at one time.....it's got 322,000 miles on it and the floor just inside the rear doors is concaved like you can't imagine, like billions of packages were dropped there.

CurtIDI94turbo: No factory installed coolant filter, never even knew Ford installed them from the factory. I am, however, going to install a coolant filter. I've installed them on other trucks (even gasser's)....they make a huge difference in coolant system cleanliness.

fuzzy1626: Thanks for the info, I never would have thought of that. Beings how heat kills these electronic transmissions and that that line totally by-passes the radiator (thus reduces engine cooling capacity) I’m surprised Ford did that. It is, however, a great place to install a coolant filter.....the restrictor in the coolant filter greatly reducing the amount of hot coolant that by-passes the radiator.

As a side note, this is not my first time posting here....I forgot about the battery question I submitted a few weeks ago. This forum is proving to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

Thanks,
Dave

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yeah, Dave, if only these old Es could tell us their stories. VERY few were "somebody's baby," unlike the Fs. Mine has about the same mileage, with no sign of ever being a fleet unit, but just has numerous quirks that point to the previous owner. For example, the u-joints are installed so that the grease fittings face OUTWARD (i.e. forward and aft). Still need to pop those joints out and turn them around! Sheesh.

I think you'll find Es trailer well (mine sure does), though the IDI engine is, uh, a bit slow uphill with a real tow load. Wish Es had a tach; I want a Hypermax tach sometime soon. As someone has said, just head for the right lane, flip on your flashers, keep your RPMs up and enjoy the sweet kettledrum symphony of the 7.3 IDI.

BTW, I bought the NAPA 4019 coolant filter kit yesterday. Plenty of room to mount on the frame under the cab.

And, I agree, Dave: the folks on this forum are great about sharing what they know.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hmm, I should add that my E is a standard-not-extended one. I think the short rear overhang helps the control my 4,000 lb trailer, Dave. I do drive extended ones for my employer, but have never trailered with one.

And I don't know if you have the extra 20" or not.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Heat on the fords is controlled by air blend door blocking hot air flow, but the foam around it breaks down so if you are getting heat when you shouldn't, look in the sticky section for a heater valve add on. there is a nifty heater valve add on trick that many of us use that shuts off the hot water when the AC is on high that helps a bunch

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Heat on the fords is controlled by air blend door blocking hot air flow, but the foam around it breaks down so if you are getting heat when you shouldn't, look in the sticky section for a heater valve add on. there is a nifty heater valve add on trick that many of us use that shuts off the hot water when the AC is on high that helps a bunch

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idi_econoline: Funny you should mention "backwards" U-joints.....I greased the U-joint a few days ago and sure enough the front U-joint is installed backwards. I did manage to get new grease into the U-joint by using a grease gun needle tip; much easier than removing the U-joint to turn it around. The '93 I have now is not a Super Van but my previous van (an '88 E350) was. And it handled an 7500 lbs trailer beautifully plus another 2000 lbs in the back of the van. I really liked my Super Van but oil pressure problems forced its retirement.

RLDS: The reason for the coolant control valve question was because i could not figure out why Ford "T"ed a line from the heater core supply line to the bottom of the radiator.....the only thing I could figure was that there was supposed to be a coolant control valve. Other members have since explained why the by-pass line is there. I'm thinking about adding a coolant valve....only time will tell. Gotta' fix other minor issues first.

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I bought the NAPA 4019 coolant filter kit yesterday. Plenty of room to mount on the frame under the cab....

Will coolant leak out of the block and radiator when the filter is changed? It seems it would if the filter is mounted at the frame rail.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where that tee'd line connect's to the bottom of the rad, it's a very small orfice going in, about 1/8" ID. It's purpose is to warm the tranny fluid in cold weather, before the T'stat opens.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will coolant leak out of the block and radiator when the filter is changed? It seems it would if the filter is mounted at the frame rail.

Yes, unless you install valves on each line. Mine is installed at the same height as the fuel filter and I get about half a cup when I change it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online