1992 F250 4wd - wheel bearings replacement Dana 50

jay_t

Reaction score
1992 F250 4wd - wheel bearings replacement Dana 50 Price Check

Took my truck in to have a shake down to determine worn parts before I get new tires for winter. I though maybe one side would need ball joints still has original ones. Truck runs and drives good, 75 mph pretty straight no wobbles. After inspection was told bearing are bad, steering and ball joints good. It is getting cold around here, my driveway is on a hill, and I have never done wheel bearings. Leaning toward paying than embarking on a project. $450 labor and material. Material is all bearings and seals. Fair price? Not looking to drag anyone through the mud, just want to know if I should look around or pull the trigger. Thanks.

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are that bad to do. Growing up i learned to do everything outside in ALL weather because even though I grew up on a farm we never had shed space. It'll be an experience.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They probably just need to be repackage and adjusted. Normally doing this whenever you replace brakes is more than often enough. Do they just have a little bit of play?

jay_t

Reaction score
Thanks for the motivation. The funny thing is, they make no noise, but was told not to leave the shop with the truck because the wheel could fall off. Even if they make no noise they could be shot. When my service van has bad bearings it howls and there are stings of grease on the side of the truck. Yesterday I was doing 75 down the interstate (before the inspection), no noise, wobble, nothing. The truck had the left outer done with brakes less than 1000 miles ago. This is the one in question. So jack her up and shake it? How can you tell the difference in shaking between a ball joint and bearing? I know if it grinds or rumbles while spinning, it is a bearing. I'll try it tomorrow night after work.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad ball joints will have up and down play only. Bad tie rods will have only forward and back play. Bad or loose bearings will have play in all directions.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust mechanics anymore. 1 outta every 4 or 5 is an honest guy. If you are set on paying someone the first thing I would do is get a second opinion and don't tell them anything the first mechanic said.

jay_t

Reaction score
Got It! The hardest part was finding the right sized lock nut socket. Everyone in town was selling the smaller one and claiming it would fit. WRONG. Finally found the bigger 4 pronged spanner. It looks like everything just loosened up. Re-torqued, nothing felt rough just spun smoothly. Yes there was a fair amount of play, but no damage.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad ball joints will have up and down play only. Bad tie rods will have only forward and back play. Bad or loose bearings will have play in all directions.

"end play" is the term you're looking for... The spec says 0.001" - .005" with best bearing life at 0.001"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes