1990 F 350 gear rattle

vern0n

Reaction score
I bought this 1990 7.3 that has sat for 6 years. It was parked because the dual mass flywheel cratered. I put a Fenton single mass flywheel, luk clutch and pressure plate. New throw out bearing, slave cylinder and master cylinder. The problem I am having is the clutch dosen't want to disengage all the way, and there is a loud gear rattle at low RPMs when driving it and when you first start it up. The transmission looks to have gear oil in it, not ATF. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Make sure the slave is bleed out and traveling enough. This is common for the 5 speeds

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure the clutch master is full of fluid(make sure the rubber cap did not fall off the lid and cover the reservoir), get it started, force it into 5th gear, and then quickly work your way to 1st or reverse(whichever direction to need to go) and then drive it around the block a couple of times. If everything is correct, the system will bleed itself as you drive it.

The noise; Get used to it. The factory went to all that trouble and expense putting that complicated original flywheel on these trucks for a reason. Now you know why, to make the tranny quiet.