1986 f150

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello everyone, my girlfriend has a 1986 F150 (AOD) with the 302 EFI and she is having all kinds of issues with it. She bought it not to long ago, but there is one main issue that is bugging us. Yesterday she drove it, started fine, then when she went went to park it, she put it into reverse, left off the break to give it some gas and it died. It then proceeded to not crank over, the battery was dead. Any ideas?

Also the truck has a misfire, but the plugs and the cap and rotor have been replaced. The truck was tuned not to long ago.

:dunno

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sure the battery was dead or there was a bad connection. i have had problem like that when my connections get corroded. it is ok running but if i try a high electrical load thing like starting it cuts out. try twisting the connections on the battery and seeing if it comes back at all, that what usually does it for me.

if the corrosion is to bad it wont let the battery charge either so there is a good chance it is at least low on charge.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck

The terminals on the battery are the cleanest on the truck, they used to be pretty bad but we cleaned them up and they are shiny and new looking. So not sure. But do u have any idea on why it would die like this?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
dont forget the cables have two ends, how are the connections on the engine block and starting relay?

what does the voltage read on the batteries. you should have 12.5 volts on a charged battery when the engine is off and at least 14.5 volts on the battery with the truck running. can you charge the batt or jump it to see? that would help narrow it down.

if the alternator died the truck could have been just running off of the battery for a while. that would drain it to the point where there wouldent be enough charge to start it again without the alternator to replenish it. was the battery comletely dead or just not enough to wind the motor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk