1984 6.9 IDI AKA The Green Dragon Ball Joint Time

superbeetle73

Reaction score
Well after pricing the parts and the shops to change my ball joints since i got some 37's and want them to last. I have a lot of play in 3 of the 4 ball joints. the shops all quoted me around 1200 plus parts. so after a little research i said fu#$ That!!!. I undertook the job myself. I am slowly moving along but I am getting it done. so far total cost is just parts at 100 for all ball joints.

Attachments

• 0710011309.jpg
    0710011309.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 27

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you are realizing that while you have this thing tore down that far, you need to check everything else that could be suspect, like axle u-joints, pass side slip joint and splines, seals, wheel bearings, etc. You don't want to do this job very many times.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know right? I'm currently doing king pins on my 86. While I'm there, I've already done axle pivot bushings, will do radial arm bushings and resurface the brake rotors and replace the pads and the one ancient hose on the drivers side. The bearings look fine and weren't loose before, and are recent and haven't been abused. I'll probably just reseal/repack as long as the races look good.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I hope you are realizing that while you have this thing tore down that far, you need to check everything else that could be suspect, like axle u-joints, pass side slip joint and splines, seals, wheel bearings, etc. You don't want to do this job very many times.

X2 on that...

I got to biff those spindles out twice on account of installing the wrong lower ball joints. The correct ones MUST have the short threads and the stubby nut. NO castle nut on the lower ball joint or else the u-joint and the nut will get intimate.

It's easier to do it all at once while you've got it torn down that far, if you can. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka