1955 f350 cat build

64ford2

Reaction score
I have a 1955 Ford on a 87 f350 dually frame I am looking at putting a caterpillar 3306 in the truck but I can't seem to find the length of the engine. I am open to suggestions about other caterpillar engines to put in the truck.

64ford2

Reaction score
60" is too long for the engine bay. Is there any other smaller caterpillar engines that are mechanical and have a decent output?

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
60" is too long for the engine bay. Is there any other smaller caterpillar engines that are mechanical and have a decent output?
Are you stuck on a cat engine? I have heard of people swapping in DT466 engines into the early 90s F-Superduty trucks. Should come in around 45". I am not an expert on them but ive looked into putting one into my superduty. I think they were mechanical up into the mid-late 90s. Considerable output, reliable, etc.

The mechanical DT466 will have a bit lower HP and torque but there are numerous upgrades available for them that can boost their power substantially and put them well beyond a CAT3306.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you stuck on a cat engine? I have heard of people swapping in DT466 engines into the early 90s F-Superduty trucks. Should come in around 45". I am not an expert on them but ive looked into putting one into my superduty. I think they were mechanical up into the mid-late 90s. Considerable output, reliable, etc.

The mechanical DT466 will have a bit lower HP and torque but there are numerous upgrades available for them that can boost their power substantially and put them well beyond a CAT3306.
He won't get a "Powered by CAT" sticker then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86