150psi Air Tank Used with 200psi Compressor?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Another vote for turning it down here.

And a side note, I had a set of hadleys on my truck and they hated any pressure over about 80psi. Are yours like this? I cant find any info on the horns.....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think it should be alright.

My Dewalt air compressor is rated as a 200psi unit, but the pump doesnt kick off until the tank is at 215ish psi. From what I hear they are all like that.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hadleys were the top of the line back in the day. The ones I have are the same my grandpa had on his 83. I looked for years to get the same ones but finally did. Hadley horns were used on some large trucks but mostly on very high end watercraft of the 30's 40's and 50's. The ones I have are supposedly from the early 40's. I've blown them with 125psi shop air but never lower than that. They seem rather high pitch I know that, so maybe they are affected by the higher pressure.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hadleys don't like excessive use at high pressures.I run mine at 190 psi.perfect pressure for the train horns.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I have an air tank that says 150psi rated on it, but my onboard compressor is a 200psi unit. What are your thoughts on the tank being capable of holding 200psi? Back when I was building machines and stuff with the tool and die company I thought I remembered one of the engineer saying that pressure vessels are required to hold pressure 5x what the rating printed on the tag says its rated for.

I run 150 psi in my semi tank below. says 150 max on the side. I have a 160psi blow off valve on the tank just in case. I have noticed my tank will raise an average of 7-10 psi in the heat. What you want to do is run a pressure switch that you can get in different rating psi. There will be an ON psi and and OFF psi. I just use this switch to control the ground side of the relay. Flip the switch on the dash and if the pressure is below 120 i think it will kick on and when it reaches 150 it will kick off all by itself. Flip the switch off and it will stay off no matter what the PSI is.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach