1345 to 1356 T-Case conversion

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I discovered while farting around underneath the truck the other day a disconcerting amount of Dexron puddled on the skidplate under the xfer case. It looks like it's coming from between the 2 halves. I found a thread concerning resealing by just removing the back half of the case, but after considering that the thing is probably original with 260k miles, it seems like a good time to take advantage of a deal on a 1356. Can I swap outputs on the 2, since the 56 is a slip yoke and the 45 is a bolt-on (or do I have that wrong entirely)? Anyone know what else has to be considered? I swear there are threads on it, but I've got bad search mojo today, apparently, and I can only find bits and pieces.

Thanks in advance.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest 1356 to swap would be one from a Bronco, as it'll be fixed yoke like the 1345. Rather than swapping parts(pretty sure the rear case half from the 1345 won't fit the 56 anyhow) you'd be better off just to change out the rear driveshaft.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transfer case I'm looking at is a rebuilt with no yokes included - so I have to get them from a 1356. Bummer. I was hoping to put off drive shaft changes until I decide what I'm going to put in front of it. It has a C6 now, but I've got a longer E4OD I may put in for an overdrive. Well, sounds like step one is just to pull the back of the 1345 and see what awaits. If nothing's terrible, I'll wait. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer