12v hp/tq and reliability question???

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12v hp/tq and reliability question??? for 2nd gen

Hey all,
I am looking for some info on building a decent cummins truck for pulling/daily driving. What I am looking for is a semi-exact recipe to meet my goals so that I can know how much to budget to do it right the first time. My goals for my future truck are this:

1. I am looking to have around 300-350 RWHP and 700-750 ft/lbs tq. This would be in a SRW 4x4 extended or quad cab truck. I am more interested in the torque than the HP, this truck will not be raced or taken to the track. I do like to tow fairly heavy loads as effortlessly as possible.

2. This truck would be primarily used for everyday driving and light towing (10K lbs and under). Also, a few time a year I would like to be able to hook to a 18K-22K load and be okay egt and reliability wise (again, at most only a few times a year).

3. Would like to run 3.55 gears if this matters

4. I am not looking to sink a ton of money into trans upgrades (I am pretty easy on trucks), should I be looking for an auto or manual? No real preference here, just asking (auto would be nice...):D

So here's what I am asking: What is the best recipe to meet these goals on a budget (I am a pastor and the wife is a teacher... not much $$$). The reason I am asking these specific questions is because I want to know how much it will cost me to meet my goals so that I can decide whether or not to buy a truck and go ahead. Right now I have a 1994 Ford 350 IDI turbo CC LB 4x4 with 4:10 gears. It does everything I ask it to do and is a fairly nice truck, I just would like to have more towing power if I need it. I also like modding my vehicles and that make a cummins very attractive to me (I have done about all I can to the IDI without spending some real coin for not alot of improvement).

So what are your proven (dyno numbers are great if you have them) recipes for power and reliability???;Sweet

Last edited:

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
wow... nobody responding? im doing a 215 hp p-pump swap in my ford dually looking for the same type of power. would love to hear from some people!

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've not created a "Fummins" however I'm very familar with Cummins/Dodge trucks (have owned several)

The 300+hp/750lbs torque mark is not hard at all w/ a P pump 12 valve. Per the original poster, $$ are tight. I would suggest a manual trans than vs. an auto if you plan to pull 18-20k.
To keep the EGT's down, make sure you are intercooled, and take a look at a HX40 turbo OR do a HX35/40 Hybrid (have had great success personally with this turbo)
All my cummins trucks had 3.55s in them, and I think they are the way to go vs. the 4.10s. Stick with 3.55's IMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online