12 valve towing less smoke

anthonyca

Reaction score
I am looking at a couple 12 valve trucks. 1994 to 1998. What would they be like to tow with after some mods? All the free mods with some time and most likley a turbo and injectors. I had a friend with a first gen and I was not impressed at all with it. The mechanical 12V 2nd gen trucks seem like a good setup and I would like a 5 speed with a new clutch and 5th gear nut fix.

This truck would be towing a jeep with one tons about 6500lbs with trailer and dirtbike a slide in camper about 3500lbs loaded. Should I just go with a newer 2004.5 or so? I don't want a 6.7 and dont want a 1998.5 24 valve.

The other thing is this would be a california truck. Would it be possible to make it tow like a beast with VERY LITTLE SMOKE? I don't want to be to be like a coal train. Some smoke before spool up would be ok but as little as possible.

Would this thing keep up with a big gasser from 1998 to 2008 or some what keep up with a 6.4 or a 6.7 or a 2004.5 with a few mods? I don't want to hold everyone up. We tow up some steep long grades at over 5000ft in the mountians.

Thank you.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can definetly make the required HP to keep up with the 04.5's or the 6.4's no problem but doing it with minimal or no smoke will be a challenge. Youre going to definetly need injectors and induction upgrades as you have already noted. You may look into water/**** injection or propane injection as a way to get that fuel burnt before it turns to soot.

Welcome to the site, where are you located?

red wagon

Reaction score
the smokes raw fuel if you put more air in ther you can cut down on that problem if you dont want smoke buy a gas burner but your gona get half the gas milage and never the the add ons