12 valve stalling

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
There's a 90 12 valve dually a couple of blocks from me that got taken out of service because of a stalling problem. I don't think it's that serious, but could possibly be the injection pump. If the fuel cutoff solenoid is bad, would it cause stalling? Any other things I should look at?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of the early trucks suffer from a loose connection at the fuel solenoid. They used a spade connector that loosens from vibration over time. If it is loose, you can squeeze it tighter with pliers, or put a ring terminal on it and put it under the nut that holds the spade tab on. I did the latter to mine. I had mine die for a split second a few times while driving and that is what I found.
Travis..

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I tried to tell the owner the possibilities, yet I could already tell he doesn't know anything about diesels. I may just lowball him and get the truck and trailer.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
the plunger on the solenoid does wear out some times and the pieces could get in the way. The fuel pump could be bad, the filter could be clogged, then there is also a filter inside the dodges fuel tank that could be restricting the flow. Either way if You want to buy it then it is much better if it doesn't run too well.