12 valve Questions-you guys rock

12 valve owner

12valveowner
Reaction score
All of you guys who answer all my questions are always right. If it wasnt for you guys I would be broke going to the shop. I wish I could by you all a beer. Thanks well heres my truck its a 96 12 valve auto extcab longbed this truck has over 180;000 miles on it and runs like a dream. Im not a diesel mechanic but a airplane mechanic and bacically a jack of all trades master of none but for starters what is agood teardown manual for a 12 valve? I love this motor its none electrical. with only 180 ***** stock on a auto haulin 10,000 pounds just wasnt enuugh power I installed a #10 fuel plate with the wastegate fitting awesome difference. I put on 4inck exhaust straight from down pipe back and a K@N FOR breathing then added a cfm composite intake manifold. Im out for reliability but my tranny down shifts and up shifts after ahour of driving even going down hills. My plans are for a new torqe converter and adeep dish pan what do you mechanics think. I will get 50 horse injectors down the line. But I know I need gauges bad bad any recomendations. My truck isnt to fast but It is 7.3 POWERSTROKE EATER with the #10 fuel plate black smoke bellowed out at first filling up a intersection but IM not for looks so how much do I adjust the screw on the pump. I want power but dont want to hurt reliability. I need gauges bad I know but From what I hear black smoke is unburnt fuel so possible turbo upgrades may be needes I adjusted the rod with the spring to minamize black smoke. And when I floor my truck it then let off it sounds like the turbo is cavating making a shuuuuu shuuuuu noise for a moment but my buddys 24 valve dosent is that normal. If you have any answers please help I listen to you guys only im not a racer but pull a six place snowmobile trailer up big hills. My tranny up shifting and down shifting is getting bad so if and Ideas that would be great. Last I was getting 18 miles per gallon last summer with same mods and winter time only 14 whats up. Sorry one more thing I live in Alasks when its cold and my truck is not plugged in it starts, but my foot must remain on gas to keep the motor from dying. how do you turn up the idle a smigen. Sorry for the long post and mispelled words I never have time to type on th computer. BUT THANKS GUYS for your advice ON HELPING ME. CUMMINS RULES THE DIESEL WORLD. Thanks Ed Sliker Wasilla Alaska

Whit

Reaction score
Look in the back of yer manual in the glovebox...............last page I think, order that maintenance manual its the best

Dave Gorends is the man for auto trannys..................Gorends.com I think

adjust the idle screw up a touch..........on the side of the P-7100 pump

lil black somke wont hurt ya they all do it

yes gauges are a must ......pyro boost and tranny temp for you

MPG issues.......yer on winter blend fuel right now and that hurts.....also the density of the cold cold air is much harder to cut thru in the winter..............alot harder...............another thing is yer front and rerarend could use some synthetic oil for added MPG

alot of questions in there dude.................hope this helps

12 valve owner

12valveowner
Reaction score
Awesome info. nice truck

Thats alot of info I needed thanks. Your truck looks very similar to my truck but yours is much nicer. How do you like your stacks I have been thinking of eventualy putting a single stack on mine, have you had any issues with them. The last thing I did to my truck was cut off my new expensive 4 inch exhaust do to a bracket breaking causing the tip to hit the ground in reverse pancaking the tube to 2.5 inch, so I cut off the pipe from before the muffler back and know its not to much louder but the throttle reponse is much crisper and snaper do you like your set up, and wear is a good place to shop for stacks.

Thanks for help kick ass truck ED

Whit

Reaction score
Grandrock pipes has stack kits

you really need a 4" exhaust from the turbo to tailpipe or to the stacks.............my vote is stacks

I aint had no issues with mine since day one in 01 when the truck was new.........stacked it right off the bat

12 valve owner

12valveowner
Reaction score
Whitmore stacks are the way

Im going to do a single stack Im sold I wonder if I will need to fadricate a flapper were I live it Alaska it is constanly snowing what about snow or whater in the pipe at the elbow. The back of my turbo is stock 3 to a 4 inch down pipe do suggest changing to bigger. How do you like your 24 valve my buddy has same truck, yours looks like it will pull ahouse down. Im new into this diesel performance but really hooked nice talking to guys how are experinced. HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR EXHAUST BREAK,WHICH DO YOU HAVE. NEXT ON MY LIST. YOUR 3 PIECE PORTED EXHAUST MANIFOLD LOWER EGTS SIGNIFICANTLY. ED

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
the single stack will be cool...................you wont need a flapper simply drill a small 1/8" hole on the lowest part of the exhaust and all the moisture will drain out there

I have the Jacobs brake and it works real good........I love it