"0" boost

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a boost gauge on today and the needle just bearly moved comming up BIg hill and standing on it. The gauge is brand new and I doubt it is bad. I can hear the turbo spool up so it is working. What now, more fuel and how much??????????????

Also, Mel PM me about a Moose Pump.

Jim

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
time to adjust the fuel screw;Sweet
mime is putting out 3-4psi at cruise(80mph/2700rpm) with 650 on the pyro.
tops out at 6psi when running the "hill" from SJ to Santa Cruz.
If you're the only one driving the truck and you trust your pyro readings, keep screwing it in until you max out at 1200deg.
If others get behind the wheel of your truck now and then, be sure to leave a "cushion" on the pyro max since others prolly won't superglue their eyeball to the gauge like you do.
just my .02:Dcookoo

sootman73

Reaction score
yea make sure you didn't crimp or kink the line anywhere. make sure all your fittings are more than snug. they will stop when they are tight. compression fittings are snug until tight. i had the same problem. of course i had more boost than that before i turned up my fuel. like 8 or so. now i run 12-12.5 with fuel maxxed. max egts once was 1225-1240. oh i also have my wastegate unhooked.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
time to adjust the fuel screw;Sweet
mime is putting out 3-4psi at cruise(80mph/2700rpm) with 650 on the pyro.
tops out at 6psi when running the "hill" from SJ to Santa Cruz.
If you're the only one driving the truck and you trust your pyro readings, keep screwing it in until you max out at 1200deg.
If others get behind the wheel of your truck now and then, be sure to leave a "cushion" on the pyro max since others prolly won't superglue their eyeball to the gauge like you do.
just my .02:Dcookoo

Thanks TOWCAT, that is what I was thinking but needed to hear it from someone else. My gauge is all tight as for the line and fittings.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, PM sent. As for the gauge, mine does something that is anoying. I have to have a couple pounds of boost going, and tap it with my finger to get it to move. Otherwise, it doesn't read anything until it hits 5 or so. I'm guessing the gauge is "bad" but I'm too lazy to replace it right now. :rolleyes: It's done that since new.

sootman73

Reaction score
my gauge was doing that earlier this summer. it would have to be around five before it went on its own or else i'd have to tap it. i think its because it got really hot sitting in the summer sun. it works fine now that i have it mounted on my A pillar

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, PM sent. As for the gauge, mine does something that is anoying. I have to have a couple pounds of boost going, and tap it with my finger to get it to move. Otherwise, it doesn't read anything until it hits 5 or so. I'm guessing the gauge is "bad" but I'm too lazy to replace it right now. :rolleyes: It's done that since new.

Mine has done the "sticking" thing since new as well. I'm not sure if I trust it, but then again, my EGT's are never high and I've never had to "back off" the throttle because they were high....never. I've guess if the boost were higher than my gauge was reading, the EGT's would be higher than they are? Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about turning up my DPS IP to see what happens.

Now which screw should I use external, internal, or both?

Heath

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done the "sticking" thing since new as well. I'm not sure if I trust it, but then again, my EGT's are never high and I've never had to "back off" the throttle because they were high....never. I've guess if the boost were higher than my gauge was reading, the EGT's would be higher than they are? Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about turning up my DPS IP to see what happens.

Now which screw should I use external, internal, or both?

Heath

Heath, turn the internal screw towards the front of the engine. I just did mine and am really putting out the smoke now, I think I max'ed mine out, I am now getting about 1 1/2 pounds of boost now just standing on it. BTW take the cover off the pump housing and have the dowel at 12 o'clock, take the little cover off the side of the pump and get a mirror and flashlight. The allen wrench is a 5/32.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI - DPS gets more fuel out of the pump in a different manner than the Moose Pump does. If I'm not mistaken, it is possible to total a DPS pump by screwing in the screw too far. I could be mistaken, but I would talk to Ken first.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
If you run the fuel screw in too far it will let the fuel plungers fall right out of their bores , seen it done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online