hypermax turbo

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Mel does, and there are others as well...to my knowledge, there aren't any complaints about the system. If I hadn't gotten the deal on the ATS that I have right now, I think they would have been my first choice...

FWIW :)

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I have the Hypermax conventional kit on my 6.9 in a E-350 chassis MH. It works very well. I get 12½psi boost with the pump screw in 135° or about 2½ flats. They don't make a "Pulse" kit for the "E" series. I have a 3" Y on the down pipe going to dual 3" exhaust with large mufflers. I also wrapped the up-pipes with Thermotec 2" pipe wrap and wrapped the turbo with 2000° heat blanket to retain as much exhaust heat as possible. With 12½psi boost I think it worked (-:

Jim
Bellingham, WA

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jauguston said:
I have the Hypermax conventional kit on my 6.9 in a E-350 chassis MH. It works very well. I get 12½psi boost with the pump screw in 135° or about 2½ flats. They don't make a "Pulse" kit for the "E" series. I have a 3" Y on the down pipe going to dual 3" exhaust with large mufflers. I also wrapped the up-pipes with Thermotec 2" pipe wrap and wrapped the turbo with 2000° heat blanket to retain as much exhaust heat as possible. With 12½psi boost I think it worked (-:

Jim
Bellingham, WA
jim-
any chance of getting some pics posted on your turbo setup? I have a upcoming project on a E-series van and am starting on doing the feasibility research.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim, how long have you had your up pipes wrapped? I was advised against that because it would retain moisture and rust the pipes. What is your climate like, and how is it holding up?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I’ve only ever heard good things about the hypermax kit. And, if you ever plan to fab up your own intercooler, I would bet that it is easier to do on the hypermax than the banks kit. (Due to the turbo placement)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
the only problem I had with moisture at the up-pipes was with rain water coming from the hood-seal (?). Or just do wath I did, before install paint them with ceramic coated paint (and clear coat for brightness :D ) and it should not rust.

lucky

lucky
Reaction score
Mel:
Jim and I went down the same road on the E series. Heat in the doghouse. 'Without the wrap both the up and the downpipe will transmit too much heat to the doghouse. Exhaust gas dense flow is a bonus. If you get the conventional you won't get off the line thrills, when the thing spools up and at roadspeed towing it is fine. The turbo has made a decent truck out of a real lead sled. You, of course, have the F series and if I had one it would have been a waste gated turbo. Fit and finish on my kit were poor, turbo has casting flaw and wrong parts were sent causing delays. When I asked about possible cures for the excess heat in the doghouse I was told my wife should carry a fire extinguisher. Charming - hey, I droped 2 g's here. Oh ya, if you want low or decent egt's you must open up the exhaust, I wound up with a 3" into a straight through IH tractor muffler, kind of nice sound. I was always told if you couldn't say anything nice don't say anything but were talking serious money here and it's the only way poor product, and indifferent service will change.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do decide to buy a Hypermax, order it from Anton Huffenburger (HUFF). He's in CA, and his number is 559-583-8833. Best time to get him is after 3:00pm his time. Several of us bought at once to help him get his Hypermax dealership and he won't let you go wrong. Just tell him you read about it here. I can't speak to Jim's anger about Hypermax. I had a deformed up pipe, and they had another one shipped out to me no questions asked. I thought fit and finish were excellent except for their crappy instruction manual, which if you read my turbo article on TDS, you won't need much of it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Agnem said:
If you do decide to buy a Hypermax, order it from Anton Huffenburger (HUFF). He's in CA, and his number is 559-583-8833. Best time to get him is after 3:00pm his time. Several of us bought at once to help him get his Hypermax dealership and he won't let you go wrong. Just tell him you read about it here. I can't speak to Jim's anger about Hypermax. I had a deformed up pipe, and they had another one shipped out to me no questions asked. I thought fit and finish were excellent except for their crappy instruction manual, which if you read my turbo article on TDS, you won't need much of it.

Since you guys mentioned it, HY did sent me the bolts all wrong, and since I had no time to wait for them I bought them from the local hardware store. Now, I bought the turbo from HUFF and He makes all the diference on the deal, he will help on any question you have about the product.

bgfire

Reaction score
I agree with Mel; get in touch with Huff. He was very helpful and knowledgeable when I installed a used Hypermax system on my truck. he was able to help me out with parts, and had a bunch of good advice.

I really like my Hypermax system. It sure woke my truck up.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I too got my kit from Mel. He was helpful but told me he had no experience with installations on E series. My kit came complete with everything I needed. I had a couple of questions during the installation and the Hypermax tech support guy was very helpful and answered all my questions. They were a good company to deal with.

Mel,
I only have about 3,000 miles on my installation. I live in N.W. Washington where it is wet a lot of the time. I was also warned about possible pipe rusting but I am a bit skeptical that it is a big problem. For me, it didn't matter. I wanted to do all I could to maximize the performance capabilities of the system. My research showed that the better the heat retention in the exhaust system from the exhaust valve to the exhaust turbine the better it would perform. I'm sure I would get even better results if I insulated the exhaust manifolds but I am not that into self-abuse (-: Also I am probably getting about all the boost the engine really likes.

TowCat,
I do have 4 or 5 digital pictures of the install that I sent to Kos on TDS. I will see if I can find where I put them. I'm not very computer literate. I will get back to you if I find them.

Jim

Tow Cat - I found the pictures. PM me your e-mail address and I will see if I can figure out to send them.

Last edited: