auto vs manual

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
ok im looking for another diesel, idi or psd. it seems to me that an idi with an auto would be weak? so to those who have owned both would you say they are weaker with an auto? thanks in advance!

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You lose a little with slippage, but offsetting that I really like how I can head up an onramp without getting out of it (thereby keeping the turbocharger spooled up) while changing gears.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can directly compare the c6 to the zf, since I swapped to the zf.

The automatic is excellent for backing with trailers and hooking up trailers and driving in other tight areas. And of course some people like to drive a automatic.

The first thing I noticed is the zf seems to utilize the diesel engine better than the c6. The engine has to wind out to get anything out of the c6. Though you should limit "lugging", this engine has a lot of power down low, and you can utilize this much better with the zf.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Personal preference. The 5 speed will go for more miles with less trouble, but the AUTO can be built to take what ever you want to throw at it

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Comparison between my 91 5 speed with 4.10s and my sis's 93 e4od 3.55s? (i think it does about 75 in od at 2000 rpms) both na both with the same load-16x5 horse trailer that was unhooked from mine with cows in it and hooked straight onto hers. my truck was the retrieval rig when pasture was wet because I was the only one with mud tires.

Mine seemed to pull a little harder off the line but not extremely noticeable, I didnt like how hers would drop gears at the slightest overpass but they both seemed about the same once you got them up in the rpm band at highway speeds but mine still seem to lug a little less if I wanted to accelerate. Honestly I would attribute the power difference to her having the higher gears.

I know that hers will flat out spank mine racing but that is because of the quick shifts.

I wouldnt balk at owning an auto because of the little bit of power loss through slippage, the only reason I dont want one is because I like the simplicity of my standard, no wiring to speak of. but I would def own an auto if the price was right, just would make my first upgrade a big honkin tranny cooler

69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for comparison....My 85 f250 6.9 NA with the 4 speed man is just as fast if not faster than the other 85 6.9 with a ATS turbo and C6.....

Being able to rev out each gear makes a big difference.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E4OD FTW!

Can you say 5:1 torque multiplication or how bot an ATS rebuild with 5 year 500,000 mile waranty?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have a well built E4od in my 1990 and 95 stroke. I always prefer manual but this trans perfroms pretty good. Good mileage and low highway rpm with the 3.55's and locking tc.

But manual is my first choice.

DragRag

Reaction score
It is to hard to eat a burger, talk on the phone, and shift gears at the same time. I like the control of a manual while towing, but the auto is just so convenient. Plus the turbo never spools down with the auto, so the auto is always going to be just a bit quicker if you are a racer. I'm sticking with the auto these days with 4.10 gears, great for towing. Plus adding a gearvendor soon on top for the double O.D. to compensate for low gears.