Put a 7.3L PSD in a '77 F-250

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I got a wheeler dealer magazine today and i saw a '77 F-250 4x4, Highboy, AT for $1,500 OBO. It has the 460 gasser in it. claims to have 97,000 original miles. from what i can see in the crappy picture it looks pretty clean and still has those chrome arches on the wheel wells.

My dad and i were thinking how cool it would be to get that truck, pull and sell the 460 and tranny. Then find a rolled 2000-2002 7.3L PSD and do a transplant along with a PSD tranny.

I know i would have to probly do a little bit of fab, but what all would be required and would it turn into a real painstaking task that half-way through i would wish i had never gotten into?

Opinions?

Thanks

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
That would be a very sweet project! You got my vote haha. You would just have to use EVERYTHING electrical in the swap. You can make anything fit with a welder and a BFH! Wonder if its possible to swap a 70's truck body onto a superduty drivetrain?? Maybe I should do some measurements since I have both trucks. My mind is stirring now haha.:sly

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Just lookin at both my trucks the cab on my superduty is definately bigger and roomier. My 77 cab is nice and cozy and more confined. Either project would be awesome.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a guy who put a 70's body style on an early 2000's chassis over on FTE, a tremendous amount of fab work had to be done. To build mine required less work, but was still a ton of fab work, but a lot of that had to do with lengthening the frame

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken, the IDI has to be shoehorned into the old 70's trucks, and with a turbo it's an even tighter fit. I imagine a PSD would be as difficult or more.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
What all is involved with the DT444E standalone wiring?

What I'm trying to find out, is if I found a big bus in a junkyard that had that engine, what would I need to make it work if I pulled it all out?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need the complete engine harness,idm/pcm thats bolted to passengers side valve cover and atleast the main connector plugs with a length of the wiring harnesses/s going into the cab.

this is probably the easiest way to do this swap.only thing youd need to figure out is what each wire is supposed to do to power it up and run gauges unless going with mechanical gauges then all you need is the hot wires,switched wires and grounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance