Ah fudge...ball joints

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bad is it to replace the front ball joints?

Tried to get my truck inspected today and they said my driver's side ball joints are on their way out. Blah. Would it be possible to rent a tool from advance auto parts to do this or would I be better off letting a shop do it?

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Shouldn't be that hard to do, honestly. While you're in there, replace your seals as well ;Really

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they told me $260...blah.

After reading your thread this sounds like a pain in the ass though...

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
Are you semi-mechanically minded?

Seriously, you *should* be able to do your ball joints in a day, in the driveway, with common tools (with the exception of the ball joint press). I'd soak them in PB blaster for a couple of days before you start though - just spray them really well each night when you get home.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha we're in the same boat right now ghunt.
she didn't pass inspection yesterday.
iv got the drivers side all disassembled and ready for the new ones.
i just started a couple hrs ago.
tomorrow i'll strip down the other side and be all ready before the new MOOG's arrive in the mail.;)
it's not all that bad.you just take it one step at a time.
if i were in a hurry,id just keep going and have both sides all ready today before sunset all EASY.but id just be bored tomorrow anyway lol.

if $260 includes the parts,and you've never done it before....that's kind of tempting price.
but then again,you might as well learn how to do it now.
imho,you should just do both sides,upper and lower and then have it lined up.that's what im doing.
both my lowers are shot from plowing all winter.

edit,
i should note,i do have a torch.so heating up them ball joint nuts is a very easy task.otherwise,you could be hours just trying to undo them things alone lol.

double edit.
i just checked the weather.its raining here tomorrow.
well i guess im out to strip down the other side now then lol.
good luck!

Last edited:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think of myself as more than semi-mechanically inclined, but I've never done ball joints before and I hate working on old rusty suspension parts that have to come apart and don't want to.

Well, maybe I can do it this weekend...guess I better start soaking parts tonight.

I was figuring on renting the ball joint press and tie rod puller from Advance Auto Parts...do I need anything else?

I wish I had access to an impact wrench....sigh

To make sure I'm understanding the process right....you remove the brake caliper...remove the hub assembly...separate the spindle from the knuckle....then do you have to pull the axle shaft? And then remove the knuckle itself and replace the ball joints?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they told me $260...blah.

After reading your thread this sounds like a pain in the ass though...

I replaced all of my ball joints, u-joints, and tie rods...it took me more than one day. I don't think $260 is a bad price but for the most part I like doing everything myself. I would also recomend getting the slide hammer that is linked in my thread. I beat the hell out of my spindle with a hammer and 2x4 and they would not budge...the slide hammer with hub attachment took them off inless than 30 seconds. You will also need the 4x4 hub nut socket (it looks like a huge socket with four points on the top of it, I borrowed one from a local garage). You will cuss a lot!! I am used to working on cars so everything is heavy on these trucks...so watch your toes!

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To make sure I'm understanding the process right....you remove the brake caliper...remove the hub assembly...separate the spindle from the knuckle....then do you have to pull the axle shaft? And then remove the knuckle itself and replace the ball joints?

Sounds pretty much right. It looks a lot better on paper...wait until you start trying to take things apart:D

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was figuring on renting the ball joint press and tie rod puller from Advance Auto Parts...do I need anything else?

I wish I had access to an impact wrench....sigh

I dont really ever have to use a tie rod puller, a few good hits with a hammer usually does the job.

And as for the impact, if you have a harbor freight around, their electric impact is really handy. It's not all that stout, and it's pretty bulky but for 30 bucks, it's a heck of a lot easier than using hand tools sometimes.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok,i got the other side all stripped down now ghunt.did ya time me.:D
a smoke brake before and after i brought the tools out and after i put 'em away.even changed out of my dirty pants and grabbed a cold drink lol.
now she's all ready to have all 4 ball joints pressed in when they arrive.:)
again,
don't forget iv got a torch.:D

edit,
agreed about the tie rod end.
its just the outer.spin the nut off,then turn it back on a few turns and SMACK,with a 3lb once,all done.:)

yeah.pull the outer shafts out.you'll see there's no other way to get the lower joint nuts off if you dont.just pull easy and pop,slide 'em out of your way,keeping them clean.
its a damn good time to replace your wheel U-joints of course.i just did mine before winter and they're all tight and new.sure would suck to have to go back in latter.so make sure you check 'em good or if its been forever and a day,now is a good time to practice preventive maintenance and just change 'em (forget the pass side inner though if that one doesn't have any play in it.)

Last edited:

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harbor freight around here so if I needed an electric impact I'd have to get one online or buy an expensive one...

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C57ZF6
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C54496

reading around the net a bit.everyone and their brother claims moog is the way to go.
two of each,or one of each if you wanna just do one side for this year,will set ya right up in good shape.
i normally just stuff at autozone and unlike a lot of people i dont have problems.but after reading about moog,and seeing the price difference,and since i put the heavy plow on this old girl.i wasn't going to mess around.
just a suggestion.iv never used moog myself.so take it with a grain of salt lol.
i don't expect ball joints to be any good after winters from here on out anyway,but maybe with the moogs iv got a chance at two seasons before they're shot.doubting that though.:D

edit.
hey i just searched "moog ball joints" here at this site and see the same results i saw googling last night.
a whole lot of people sure claim to have good results with 'em.pretty popular everywhere i guess.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have done them many times before and for $260, i would let someone else do it. the Ball joints are about $50 each so it is only 160 in labor, which is cheap

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AbOut to do the same myself. Not sure how well my inner ujts are but I am planning on doing all 4 tie rods and the sleeves.

I had to figure parts out myself. Diesel brad suggested xrf balljoints but they don't sell anywhere nearby. I heard mixed about moog, mostly that they use to be good and now alot of their stuff ain't made in the USA. I've also heard they have to be pressed in where others pop in easier but idk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online