Grafting an 80-80 firewall into a later cab, questions & such...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Grafting an 80-86 firewall into a later cab, questions & such...

I recall seeing this done in a truck rebuild thread, but I can't find the thread! Can anyone direct me to it? I recall it wasn't the entire firewall, just sections.

Last edited:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
fixed it, I meant an 80-86 firewall into an 87-91 cab, I'm still searching for a good diesel donor crew cab from 84-86.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm trying to build an 80-86 4 door bronco, but finding more 87-91 crew cabs, I'm wondering if using a later cab will work or if I should hold out for an early cab.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to build an 80-86 4 door bronco, but finding more 87-91 crew cabs, I'm wondering if using a later cab will work or if I should hold out for an early cab.

And what exactly is the reason for wanting a different firewall? AFAIK the '80-'86 front will easily bolt up to the '87-'91 cab... Or am I missing something?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the seller for the truck I have lined up to send me the VIN so I can verify it isn't loaded with a couple grand in back fees, he is hesitant and it's making me a little nervous, I'll get that truck for parts, and if the registration is clear I'll use it, but I'd like to have a backup plan.

My understanding is that the firewalls were changed in 87 and early wiring won't run through the same :dunno

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's harder to go the other way, an 80-66 dash and harness into a later cab is pretty straightforward. Just need to block off some holes you aren't going to use. Hardest part is welding in the column bracket hangar for an 80-86 style dash.
You must be registered for see images

80-86 pedals and heater in a 94 cab.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
And what exactly is the reason for wanting a different firewall? AFAIK the '80-'86 front will easily bolt up to the '87-'91 cab... Or am I missing something?

No. the 80-86 cab firewall is different to the 87-91. And they are a welded part of the cab, they dont just bolt in

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the project you are taking i would just go and buy a "painless wiring harness" they have some nice kits and its all new wires, fuses relays, and since it has a wiring diagram, you will always be able to troubleshoot with ease. and it will help you have a nice custom look to the trk as well, running the harness through where you want.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. the 80-86 cab firewall is different to the 87-91. And they are a welded part of the cab, they dont just bolt in
Brad, by front I meant the fenders, grille, and hood (the stuff most folks swap when they want one body style to look like another), I know the firewall is an integral part of the cab. But, for the purposes of feeding harnesses in, wouldn't it be easier to just cut out the section with the holes for the harnesses and swap them out (weld the pieces from the old firewall to the newer one)? That's kinda what I did when installing a '92-up door on my '90 cab, the opening for the bellow was too large in the new door (apparently the '92-up bellows are fatter, tho I dunno why) so I just cut the section with the bellow hole off the old door and installed it onto the new door, worked great.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
with the project you are taking i would just go and buy a "painless wiring harness" they have some nice kits and its all new wires, fuses relays, and since it has a wiring diagram, you will always be able to troubleshoot with ease. and it will help you have a nice custom look to the trk as well, running the harness through where you want.

I looked at a painless kit for a Chevy TPI project and damn near fell over, it doubled my budget cookoo granted I got a good deal on the intake and the long block, but I almost fell over, a good friend is electrical OCD, sometimes he gets insomnia and spends the night building wiring harnesses :sly