IDI noob questoins

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I am in the process of pulling my tranny. I have lots of experience with smaller trucks (Tacomas are my specialty), and I have never had to worry about bracing the engine when pulling the tranny. The engine always just balanced, or leaned back just a tad into the fire wall.

So my first question is: Do I need to brace the engine in one direction or the other?

Q2: Should I remove the t-case or just get it all down in one shot? (I have a tranny jack that can handle the job, and it would save allot of time!)

Q3: Is it worth it to take the tranny tunnel off, and re-seal it when I am done, or just leave it on?

thanks guys for all the help!!

PZ

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you do not HAVE to brace the engine, but I always put a block of wood under the back edge of the oil pan just to help hold it still, and cover any possibilities. These trans are going to be a bit heavier than what your used to in rice land. I'd recommend seperating them. One is enough of a challenge. Here is the thing with your ZF5... you need to take the top cover off to make getting it in and out easier. It's better than taking off the tunnel cover. But beware... when you take the cover off, there is a tang and a spring that is precariously poised to go "Sprong!" Make sure you have the stub in neutral, and lift the cover streight up. After that, look down from above and you will see the tang and spring. Remove both and store until you are ready to re-assemble.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Mel covered it very well, I'd like to add that due to the weight and size of the transmission and Tcase it can be difficult to reassemble as one piece, I can pull the Tcase without a jack, and that leaves you with a shorter, narrower, and better balanced transmission for removal and reinstilation, the time spent separating them is more than made up for when you put it back together, if you are working on an imperfect surface, sloped, asphalt, or dirt this is even more of an advantage, in a perfect situation with smooth level concrete and a proper jack or two it is more of a tossup to separate or keep it together. Having a second jack to go under the low side of the case may help with instilation.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Any tips on the starter?? Seems there is on bolt on top that will not be easy to get to.

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you do not HAVE to brace the engine, but I always put a block of wood under the back edge of the oil pan just to help hold it still, and cover any possibilities. These trans are going to be a bit heavier than what your used to in rice land. I'd recommend seperating them. One is enough of a challenge. Here is the thing with your ZF5... you need to take the top cover off to make getting it in and out easier. It's better than taking off the tunnel cover. But beware... when you take the cover off, there is a tang and a spring that is precariously poised to go "Sprong!" Make sure you have the stub in neutral, and lift the cover streight up. After that, look down from above and you will see the tang and spring. Remove both and store until you are ready to re-assemble.

I just pulled the shift tower out on mine. Undo the 4 torx screws and the tower comes right out and you don't have to worry about the spring and the clip, and it gives you the clearance you need.

I would also recommend separating the tcase. The bonus to removing the floor pan, is you can get to the top 2 tcase bolts without contorting under the truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That starter top bolt is tuff to get at. Its a 1/2 inch socket and yes... A 3 ft extension will work. I found for me using a 3/8 inch socket set fits best. You just need to find which extension and deep or standard socket works for you. Now getting that top bolt back in.... It can be a terrible job. I found using black tape just around the bolt to the socket.... Then the socket to the extension but test this before you try it. The last thing you want is leaving a socket stuck to the bolt. It works great for me... Anyone ever try a magnetic socket...:sly:dunno I usually install the side bolt first so the heavy starter has something holding it in place.... Please..... Make sure you disconnect both batteries before reaching up under the engine... You have around 1800 amps that will weld your wedding ring to you finger or burn a wrench in two... And guess what... Gravity sucks everything down in your face.... Melted metal bumps everywhere too... funny how it will burn the back of your neck....:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online