Crank, Cam and Timing Gear Alignment

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thought somebody might be interested as to what the timing is suppose to look like.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 83

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees man... Get a flash on that camera:rotflmao... Black is beautiful but thats just crappy looking.....:eek::D

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Cool! ;Sweet

I haven't had an IDI down that far yet to see the gears. It would be cool if they were heli cut for a little gear whine :sly

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Cool! ;Sweet

I haven't had an IDI down that far yet to see the gears. It would be cool if they were heli cut for a little gear whine :sly

ew...i drove a chebby with a "noisy" gearset, i wanted to blow the f-er up after the first five minutes!!! -cuss that's what i love about the scouts, i tell people they're full geardriven and they're like "but its so quiet you can't hear them!" DUH! it's the aftermarket ones that are noisy. my friends 304 was the quietest engine i've ever hear run!

-Jon

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noisy gear drive = gears that don't mesh correctly. The after market "noisy" ones for gassers are basically messed up right out of the box. Ever hear a rear differential starting to whine? That means time for a rebuild.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I think helical cut makes it quieter, like a diff or the timing gears in our motors, I think the noisey ones are straight cut.

-Jon

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ahh truck ****.:sly

So did y'all know theres an external timing alignment mark on the 7.3 gear covers???

With the crank balancer at TDC and the cam dowel pin at around the 5 o'clock mark (if the gears are properly aligned,) there will be a casting dimple on the gear cover that lines right on up with the dowel pin on the cam gear.:sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Gees man.... We need pictures of this dimple... We need to see....:sly:D

Why did I not see that coming.

I think the latest software update for my DROID is allowing picture uploads now. :thumbsup:

Will be putting that on my "Things to do list.";Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh truck ****.:sly

So did y'all know theres an external timing alignment mark on the 7.3 gear covers???

With the crank balancer at TDC and the cam dowel pin at around the 5 o'clock mark (if the gears are properly aligned,) there will be a casting dimple on the gear cover that lines right on up with the dowel pin on the cam gear.:sly
ok...umm...where?

Attachments

• SL370746.JPG
    SL370746.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 32

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
ok...umm...where?

Well on clean motors, the casting mark can be found where I circled.

Calvin, it surprises me that with all of the anti pollution laws out there, they'd allow ya to have a dirty motor.LOL

Attachments

• Timing cover 1.jpg
    Timing cover 1.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 27