Could it be a lack of friction modifier?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
My 97 seriously hates to start moving, if I'm turning at the same time. It does it turning left or right. More so, when turning right. Best way I can describe it, is that it feels like gears binding up. It has the 4.10LS rear in it and the PO had the rear diff cover replaced at a dealer. He didn't say why they replaced the cover, but I figure it wasn't because it was an ugly color.

The PO always had work done at the dealer and lots of parts still have the Ford part stickers on them. Could the dealer have missed putting friction modifier in the diff?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Quite possible. Maybe not enough of the smelly crap was added. To little makes them bind up and chatter. To much makes the LS useless. Add a shot and test drive. But don't add to much.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much is really involved in pulling the cover and changing it? If there's anything really wrong in there, you might see it when you pull the cover.

Just my .02 worth.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
How much is really involved in pulling the cover and changing it? If there's anything really wrong in there, you might see it when you pull the cover.

Just my .02 worth.

I don't have a problem doing that, but I could easily miss a problem. I've never worked on a diff before.. :dunno

zpd307

Reaction score
i wouldnt think the friction modifyer would have anything to do with your problem. it is only there to create slip in the diff when turning. i would think bearings, in the carrier or axles..... :dunno you could pull the cover and see if there are chunks of anything in the oil.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
i wouldnt think the friction modifyer would have anything to do with your problem. it is only there to create slip in the diff when turning. i would think bearings, in the carrier or axles..... :dunno you could pull the cover and see if there are chunks of anything in the oil.

Lack of the additive will make the dif bind and chatter.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Lack of the additive will make the dif bind and chatter.

I put in one bottle of friction modifier and haven't noticed any kind of improvement at all. I'll take the truck to work tomorrow and see if putting another 75 miles on it helps...

If not, I'll go exploring for chunks in the differential lube....

zpd307

Reaction score
maybe you should pull your axles and check the condition of your axle bearings.