Hello: Just Bought a 2003 F350

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Gentlemen

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been driving a 94 F350 IDI for the last few years but just recently had an accident and in short had to sell it and get this rig.

Its a 2003 F350 4x4 CC long bed, Auto with the 6.0

It has 130,000 miles with a rebuilt trans within the last year as well as new injectors and front end. It drives tight down the road. I just drove it home 600+ miles with not even a hickup.

I averaged 13.7 mpg (but thats on heavy mix of #1 diesel which yields less power!!!)

Hopefully I will get a better average when I run it on #2 consistantly.

What are you guys getting for mileage? What do I need to know about these rigs?

I will do more searching on here after I get a moment to breath. Just got back from a 3 week trip from @%$ and am now heading off again.

Thanks for any advice!!

Thad

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thad I consistently get between 15.5 and 17 with my 06 on #2.

Some things that help the 6.0 give consistent performance.

• Dont idle for extended lenghts of time, its ******* the turbo.
  • Run the snot out of it once in a while. Its good for the turbo.
  • Run CLEAN fuel, its good for the injectors. WMO/MMO/WVO are OK, but its gotta be filtered pure.
  • Drain your HFCM (Horizantal Fuel Conditioning Module) every 15k or sooner. Youre injectors will thank you.
  • Dont chip it if you want years of good service out of it. Its stock with over 300 hp and 600 tq, big step up from the IDI. ;)
  • If you do chip it, you'll make some good horse but you stand the chance of lifitng a head gasket.
  • EGR can be problematic sometimes, it can be pulled and cleaned to ensure the valve can travel. This also goes back to extened idle time and blowing the snot out of her now and again.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
dakota,

Welcome to the 6.0. I saw the thread about your IDI and was sorry to hear about the accident.... I second all that Mike says about the 6.0. Mine is stock and has more than enought to do what I want. Just to put it in perspective, Trav (agrve) drove mine all day one day we were camping and he said that he saw no reason to turn it up..... he and I did a "test run" and he said that he had to work harder to stay in front of me stock in the Nanny Goat that to stay in front of a buddy of his with a 01 24V with an Edge Juice with attitude on "5"

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dakota sorry to hear about your IDI. Some info for you about the 6.0.

First, oil. 6.0 injectors are murder on oil. Most injector problems can be traced back to either long oil change intervals or poor quality oil. It is pretty safe to say you will be miles ahead using a synthetic oil. I myself have been using synthetic rotella. I still change oil and filter at 5k intervals. So far my truck has had no injector problems since new (over 100k now). No problem with cold starts either. Get the oil and filter at Walmart. Yes they have them there. Filter is $19 (dealer is 30+) and oil (synth rotella) is $20 gallon.

Fuel filters change every 10k. International carries them for less than half the price of Ford. You will need the International part number as they no longer help you when you ask for a Ford part. I can post the part number later after I look it up.

Tuners; do not get a chip type tuner for you 6.0. Asking for problems. A SCT flash type tuner with a custom tune from Innovative diesel (Eric) can be used safely as long as you aren't foolish about it. I have run one the last year without a hiccup. I put it back to stock when towing however. On the highway I have seen 20mpg tuned. I also notice lower boost pressures than stock in daily driving. If you rag on it expect to blow headgaskets. This is true tuned or stock.

Enjoy your new 6.0. Mine has been the most reliable vehicle I've owned yet.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

I dont plan on modding this thing to high heaven....but I might get a 3.5" downpipe and 4" from there back. Otherwise its not going to be changed....at least for now.

I am wondering whether I will gain anything MPG wise from synthetic engine oil? I am seeing around 15.5 mpg on this tank. Still working all the #1 out of the system though. Hoping to get consistently over 16 mpg. Might have to run sythetic in the differentials when they get changed!!!

I also want to lift the front an inch or so so my tires dont rub while turning....any thoughts?

So far the rig is doing well.

Thanks
Thad

zpd307

Reaction score
running them hard actually does work. every fall i borrowed my buddies 35 foot travel trailer for duck opener. it was a 3 1/2 hour trip out there and we were always in a hurry. so 80 on the freeway was the norm. point is, i always noticed that the truck ran a lot better and seemed to have more pep afterwards. the egr system on these does do wierd things when they act up. i usually pulled mine out and cleaned it out after a couple of oil changes. they do get built up with gunk..... i did a shackle lift on my front end, to help with the huge rack these trucks come with. not too hard to do and cheap.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
running them hard actually does work. every fall i borrowed my buddies 35 foot travel trailer for duck opener. it was a 3 1/2 hour trip out there and we were always in a hurry. so 80 on the freeway was the norm. point is, i always noticed that the truck ran a lot better and seemed to have more pep afterwards. the egr system on these does do wierd things when they act up. i usually pulled mine out and cleaned it out after a couple of oil changes. they do get built up with gunk..... i did a shackle lift on my front end, to help with the huge rack these trucks come with. not too hard to do and cheap.

X2..... Mine does like to be run hard!!!!! If the lady drives it in town to get the kids from school and to the store and the like, and I drive it to work, after a day or to of 30+ miles to work and on the Interstate it is much happier and runs better!!!! One thing I did, was on a trip to store the camper at dads, is they live on a 2 lane "state speced" concrete slab road, it is about 1+ miles from turn to the house. My camper weighs in at about 4500 lbs, and when I goto dads, I make the turn, and push the skinny pedal to the floor until I I have to stop and make the turn.... they are out in the middle of nowhere, and in the mile I am at about 60-65 at full throttle when I let off.... it seem to realy run better for a while after that.... a 6.0 LOVES to be worked!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online