Got the 60 in today!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after fighting with the f350 I bought, it finally gave me the Dana 60 I wanted from it. The dang spring bolts rusted to the bushing guides and wouldnt come out, So I solved the problem and got a BIG Grinder. 20 minutes later everything was on the ground. Then I had to order a bushing kit, I think its from energy suspension. I had the choice between red or black, I had to go with red just to be different :sly.

I think it took a total of 3 hours to totally remove the dana 50 axle, what a pain in the ass that was compared to the 60. To many things moved and twisted. I think it took another 3 hrs to prepare the 60 and bolt everything up. Everything went smooth up until we tried to remove the steering arm and the puller broke on the gearbox. So as it was getting dark we swapped the gearbox from the other truck and solved the problem for now.

I havent swapped the front driveshaft over yet, but almost everything else has been takin care of. The ride is 1000 times smoother, the steering is more responsive and the overall feeling of the truck is improved. One other thing that I have to do is swap the 4 in block over from the other truck, but as it sits now the truck is level.

Thursday's plan consists of putting the dana 50 under the f350 as well as replacing the bearings and swapping the outers from the dana 50 over to the 60. Can't wait to see what twists are thrown at me next!!

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Getting the ttb off did not seem too bad for me... It was easier to move around too, being easy to separate in the middle. Now if I was not working on a hill, it would have likely been easiest to leave a set of tires on the 60 and just roll it around but the incline my truck is on prevented that...

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting the TTB back in is a complete PIA! I just got done doing the exact swap you mention.

D60 Remove/install: 2.5hrs
TTB Remove/install: 2 days

mR

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 60 was easy, the only difficult part was moving it around after it was out. I didnt have a jack the could go high enough to remove either of the front ends when the had tires on the them. When we pulled the 50 we just left it together and gave it pull on the spring packs. The worst part is it pivots in so many places its hard to move without it contorting into funny positions. Below Ive inluded a few pics of my truck with the 60 as well as the f350 that ive been pulling from. Ive got to dig up pictures of my truck before the swap, but it so far sits about 3 to 4 inches higher in the front. I have yet to lift the back.

Attachments

• DSCF3092.JPG
    DSCF3092.JPG
    492.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF3093.JPG
    DSCF3093.JPG
    489 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF3094.JPG
    DSCF3094.JPG
    495.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF3095.JPG
    DSCF3095.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF3096.JPG
    DSCF3096.JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 29

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Are the steel rims on the donor truck 16.5's? If so, do you wanna sell 'um?

Heath

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its an ex northern plow truck and is kinda rusted out underneath. It was bought at auction and used as a mud truck for the last year until the previous owner blew a whole in the transfercase adapter. Im still looking for an adapter for an e4od is anyone has one available.

The motor is really strong, it had the dana 60 front and a brand new set of 38.5 super swampers.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it wasnt that hard just time consuming to do it right. Now I just need a turbo and Ill be in business.