7.3 to 6.9 long block swap...what does NOT interchange?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
...if anything?

seems like everyone interested in my 6.9 long block is replacing a blown up 7.3. everyone has the same question...what id not interchangeable between the two?

i know the heads are different but that's not an issue because i have the heads on the long block already.

intake?
flywheel?
water pump?
bracketry for the accessories?
air and fuel filter setups?
glow plug controllers?

basically what would a guy need to have if if he was going to take out a blown 7.3 and replace it with this

You must be registered for see images attach

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would guess drill and tap it for the GP controller mount and that's about it. I bolted the 7.3 filter head right on my 6.9 and the stock lines fit well (although I changed the fuel feed to braided stainless shortly after the install). Intake maybe? Serpentine belt setup is bolt on (I have one of those too and bolted on a garage kept 6.9 to figure it out).

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glow plug controller will bolt to the 6.9 intake, I just got done swapping a 6.9 into my f250

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced a 6.9 with a 7.3 in my black truck. There was nothing that was on the 6.9 that didn't fit on the 7.3 (except the heads of course). Everything and I mean everything just bolted on.......... all the pullies, accessaries, the flywheel, GP controller, and what have you.

Heath

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I would be concerned about is the ring gear and starter. If he takes the one from the 6.9 they will fit but if he ever needed a starter he would have to indicate 6.9 and not make a mistake and say 7.3. Number of teeth are different between the 2 and that of course depends on the year of the 6.9

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I would be concerned about is the ring gear and starter. If he takes the one from the 6.9 they will fit but if he ever needed a starter he would have to indicate 6.9 and not make a mistake and say 7.3. Number of teeth are different between the 2 and that of course depends on the year of the 6.9

Never heard that one before. At the electric shop one starter fits all the IDI's

The only major differences is the van oil cooler is different than the truck.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
The 7.3 intake also has 2 threaded holes in the back for the GP controler, The 6.9 does not. Other than that they are identical.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.9 that I dropped into my 89 had the holes drilled in the back for the gp controller

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

um i just put a 7.3 starter on my 6.9

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Everything internally on both the 6.9 and 7.3 except the pistons and rings are exactly the same... Even the part numbers are the same... Same rods, crank, bearings, cam, gears, seals, oil pump,,, And on and on.... The differance list is so much smaller.... Heads and head bolts, pistons.... Thats about it...:sly