C6 to ZF5 swap. really.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm creating a new thread because I have just finished over an hour of research on this forum and another one and can find nothing on a C6 to zf5 trans swap. Plenty on the t-19 to zf. :backoff

First major question. Will I need a different cross-member? All the posts I have seen talk about re-using the t-19 cross member and moving it back an inch. If i need a cross-member to make the zf5 work where there used to be a C6, i'd like to know sooner rather than later.

I'm already compiling a parts list of a pressure plate (ca31055), clutch plate (cp31103A), pilot bushing (fc65662), throwout bearing (614062). I intend to re-use a slave cylinder from a t-19 I acquired, along with the t-19 flywheel. I will need to buy a new master cylinder and source a new clutch/brake pedal assy from a local junk-yard. What should I be looking for there?

I was going to change to a t-19, but got a decent deal on a zf5, so change is in progress. I just love spending money, can't you tell? cookoo

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never done this swap, but I do know you need to keep the manual tranny flywheel, and clutch parts ZF5 and T19 specific. You can't use the T19 flywheel/clutch with the ZF5 and vise versa. The slave cylinder is fine and can be used with either. I'd get a SMF kit and clutch for South Bend Clutch for the ZF5.

I have no idea on the crossmeber, maybe someone else will know.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be the same as an E4OD to ZF conversion. Just fewer wires. LOL

Check the thread that EMD Driver has running.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so a t-19 6.9 flywheel won't work for a ZF5 swap?

-Jon
there's a height difference issue between the t19 and the zf5 flywheel.
only person I know who has grafted one together is "cheapers jeeper". you might want to PM him on the details on what he's done

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
I guess a better question would be, "what's the difference between the C6 cross member and the t-19?"

If the t-19 will work for the zf, and the c6 will work for the t-19, then, ipso facto, the c6 will work on the zf. (gotta love Aristotilian logic). I'd just like to know 100% before taking the c6 out.

I was under the impression that the "lucky mod" using a SMF was in-fact a t-19 SMF. :confused:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i just did the swap.
same Xmember.
11inches added to driveshaft.

easy swap. Took me 3-4 days, but I drink alot and get easily distracted when I'm on land.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
Finally, found the thread that all this was answered in.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showpost.php?p=313370&postcount=23

Now it's just a matter of fixing the mount on the t-case adapter. Any suggestions?

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
Okay, so here's my idea for fixing the broken mounting tab.

vbpgimage.php

The angle iron would have the triangular shim, the nut, and the 1/8" strap welded to it. I don't know about welding it to the housing, would JB weld be strong enough to hold it in place? Also wondering about bolting the patch assy to the housing (two holes shown on both the angle iron and housing would line up. Whacha think? Be brutally honest.

Forgot to add: to make this work, what remains of the mounting tab would have to be ground off, along with a little clean-up work done to the angled break.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Do ya have the tab that broke off? If so it can be welded back on if ya have a good shop or are capable of welding aluminum.

The good thing is the damaged side of the adapter is on the non torqued load side so that option may work.
If the metal is ground clean of oxidation, the JB weld should hold. Tis some good stuff.

dieselutheran2

Reaction score
No, I don't have the piece that broke off. Is the rear housing aluminum too? I thought with that much rust and corrosion that the rear housing was cast iron.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used a t-19 flywheel for a zf-5 swap also used the t-19 pressure plate. just installed a spring loaded disc that fit the zf-5

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used a t-19 flywheel for a zf-5 swap also used the t-19 pressure plate. just installed a spring loaded disc that fit the zf-5
do tell us more. installed heights on the TOB the same for both? drivability? gear rollover noise?
thanks;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin