I have a confession

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Shortly after installing the moose pump (the next day) I blew my head gaskets. I haven't mentioned it for 2 reasons:
1. At the time Mel had sold 2 pumps. Mine was the only one running and I didn't want to cast any bad light at Mel and his endeavor. Now that he has several out and they are the outstanding product the he claims, I am not worried about anyone thinking negatively about it.
2. I wanted to tear it down and diagnose the cause.

As to that, most would probably assume that I overboosted and blew it up. Maybe. I only saw 18 psi once and when they went I had 16lbs. I am not too sure on my timing on that day. Ron and I used an admittedly unknown timing device of Darrins to set it and it didn't sound right to me, but. . .Note to self, follow your gut.

Once I had it torn down, I discovered a few things.
1. I didn't have a torque wrench at the time, so I didn't check what the studs were torqued at but a few did feel looser than others.
2. None of my fire rings were damaged leading me to believe that the heads lifted.
3. More than 1 stud dripped oil from it when I removed them leading me to believe they were overoiled on installation. Possible hydrolock?

So now it's back out for the third time and nearly back together, so I thought I'd come clean and spill the beans on some improvements that I've made.

Like lowered compression, ported and polished heads, 7.3 rockers, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, copper exhaust gaskets, intake and exhaust manifold studs.

Oh, and I removed the dps stickers from my valve covers.

If my help falls through on a sewer project this weekend, I should have everything back on and will probably fire it up on the stand to get it warm and retorque everything. Mother's day weekend is d day for reinstall.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
good luck. so tell me how much money have you spent on it this time? am i really saving anything doing it myself?

IDIeselman

Reaction score
good luck. so tell me how much money have you spent on it this time? am i really saving anything doing it myself?

:eek: :eek: :eek: That's like asking a fat woman her weight......Some things we just don't do! LOL . You are surely saving alot doing it yourself.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About these loose studs. Are they the ARP or other type? If they are the ARP studs you have to torque them down 5 times and loosen them 5 times. This breaks down the friction between the stud, nut and washer. I felt this was overkill until I tried it. My ARP studs and nuts would turn almost 3/4 turn more when I had done this 5 times. It made me a believer thats for sure.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are the ARP studs you have to torque them down 5 times and loosen them 5 times. This breaks down the friction between the stud, nut and washer.
Did this info come from ARP? I didn't hear anything like that from them when I did my stud install...nothing like that in their instructions, and the tech I spoke with didn't say anything about it either. Sounds like a good idea, though; I wish I had known about that in 2004...starting to wonder if I should check the torque on the stud nuts...

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Sounds like fun in the winter time. Doesn't it get pretty cold in Indiana in the winter?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney, I'm glad to see that you took the high road and streightened it all out. That should be quite the runner when you get er' done. I hope it gets to the rally, as a lot of folks will want to see that dual turbo setup again.

Must have been nice having several months in which to contemplate your release of this information, rather than having leaks and rumours chasing you down eh? ;Really

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Must have been nice having several months in which to contemplate your release of this information, rather than having leaks and rumours chasing you down eh? ;Really

I wasn't too concerned about that sort of thing. I just didn't have time to get to it. In fact, I bought a temporary carport to cover it up because I didn't even get started tearing into it until late January.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Looks like I'm not digging up a sewer this weekend, so I should have it running. I'll take a video of it, but I'll need help posting it.