Ray-Wel power pak MK II

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see you found a picture. Whose gallery is that?

FYI the one I have is in a little better shape.

Last edited:

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Well I happen to have that kit on my truck. Came to me that way. I did a bunch of searching on it when I bought it and couldn't find a whole helluva lot of info on it. What I remember is that it was intake, exhaust & the air cleaner lid. I can not remove the "soup bowl" on my setup as it's a molded aluminum air cleaner. I've been kicking around the idea of bringing the base of the air cleaner in to a junk yard to find a lid that fits to eliminate the bowl. Haven't gotten arountuit yet :) I just went & looked for the digital camera & couldn't find it. When I do, I'd be more than happy to take any pictures you'd like to see.

Mike

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
how would that be an improvement having a stamped in soup bowl in aluminum
? is this supposed to be a preformance air cleaner lid?

Ray

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Greythorn,
I have zero idea. cookoo It came with my truck when I bought it. I found one post I think over at TDS (I think, it's been over a year ago now) that mentioned it. The only thing I remember about it was it was supposed to be a better intake & exhaust. Like I said in a previous post, I'm working on getting a "rountuit" to hit the boneyard to get a regular old lid for that air cleaner to get rid of my soupbowl.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The soup bowl in the Raywell and the Banks kits isn't as deep or as big in diameter and therefore isn't the obstruction that it is in the stock lid. It is intended to reduce the volume inside the air cleaner and direct the airflow into the intake. It also allows fror about an inch taller filter, which would add about 30 square inches (about a 15% increase) of filter surface area to make it breathe easier. Whether it actually works or not, I can't say, never got around to trying it before I sold my NA truck - and it won't work on my Turbo truck.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Greythorn,
I have zero idea. cookoo It came with my truck when I bought it. I found one post I think over at TDS (I think, it's been over a year ago now) that mentioned it. The only thing I remember about it was it was supposed to be a better intake & exhaust. Like I said in a previous post, I'm working on getting a "rountuit" to hit the boneyard to get a regular old lid for that air cleaner to get rid of my soupbowl.

Mike, I'll swap ya a plain lid for that Ray-Wel? I've got 2, one with and one with out the soup bowl. let me know where to send it?

Attachments

• various 023.jpg
    various 023.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 2
  • misc 121.jpg
    misc 121.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 4
  • misc 122.jpg
    misc 122.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 4

oregon-mike

Reaction score
The soup bowl in the Raywell and the Banks kits isn't as deep or as big in diameter and therefore isn't the obstruction that it is in the stock lid. It is intended to reduce the volume inside the air cleaner and direct the airflow into the intake. It also allows fror about an inch taller filter, which would add about 30 square inches (about a 15% increase) of filter surface area to make it breathe easier. Whether it actually works or not, I can't say, never got around to trying it before I sold my NA truck - and it won't work on my Turbo truck.

Well, after reading that, maybe I ought to rethink my putting a new lid on my truck....What would be cool I suppose would be to have a normal Ford air cleaner and mine and run them both on the dyno to see if there are any real differences.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Mike, I'll swap ya a plain lid for that Ray-Wel? I've got 2, one with and one with out the soup bowl. let me know where to send it?

I'm going to take the lid off, put a ruler on it and get some more pics. The bowl on mine *seems* like it's bigger than the one you showed in your pics.

I'm backing off on my statement about wanting to get rid of the bowl after reading Cheaper's comment and until I do some more checking waterdoc. If I stumble across one though I'll get in touch with you & figure out where to send it.

I'll take a pic of the baffle (for lack of a better word) that lived on top of the intake too. I assumed that was just blocking airflow. Maybe it worked in conjunction with the bowl to vortex the intake air or something? I wouldn't expect the way the air is coming in to have any impact on performance/mileage etc though...

Mike

Optikalillushun

Reaction score

oregon-mike

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you if it was part of the kit or not. I tried to get a pic of where the intake hose goes into the grill area and couldn't get a decent one. From looking at other people's intakes though, it looks fairly stock to me. Between the radiator & the driver's side headlight. It's not a huge intake like I've seen others do.