Name that differential carrier

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well My door tag says I'm supposed to have a 4.10 sterling 10.25 open diff, well I got the cover off and there be clutches in there.
And anyone tell me which differential carrier I have in there and if those clutches can be replaced without having to remove the carrier?
Also, if there's a lock rite or similar drop in spider gear replacement for that unit?

Thanks------Robert

Attachments

• Diff1.jpg
    Diff1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Diff2.jpg
    Diff2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Diff3.jpg
    Diff3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 18

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I finally found my Ford CD manual, it looks like it's a ford Track Lock posi unit that would take these clutches That rear doesn't use the Z spring, it looks like the Trac Loc unit uses that setup.
And it looks like surgery to replace those things, so I think I'd better wait to dig into that project. If I have to pull the carrier, I think I may do a gear ratio swap and pop some 3.73's in there

-----Robert

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well those pictures in now way allow anyone to see what they need to to get you any type of reasonable response to your question. They do however show the ring gear well.

Try some shots of the open area were the spider gears would reside and some close ups of the clutches...Then maybe we can tell ya whatchagotinthere

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well those pictures in now way allow anyone to see what they need to to get you any type of reasonable response to your question. They do however show the ring gear well.

Try some shots of the open area were the spider gears would reside and some close ups of the clutches...Then maybe we can tell ya whatchagotinthere

Yeah, sorry about that. I took a few up nice and close but it was a little too close, they came out all fuzzy. Oh well, I cleaned up the cover and popped it back on, that little project will have to wait until next time. I've got to get things ready for a camping trip next week, so I've switched into new AC compresor and hose mode :D

Whatever it is, it's got to come out to get new clutches, so It's just going to have to wait

Thanks--------Robert

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is actually pretty easy - the only (diesel) axle in the pickups with the "tone ring" in the rear end was the 10.25. The older Dana axles did not have the tone ring as that was pre-ABS.

Most likely they installed the wrong axle at the factory. It's mind numbing work and it wouldn't be hard to grab a 4.10 LS rather than a 4.10 open.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10.25 trac-lock didn't use the z-spring from everything I've ever seen. Unfortunatley, AFAIK, there is no drop in locker that is made for a limited slip carrier, you'd have to swap to an open carrier.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to ford and get the rebuild kit for $137. Comes with clutches, shims, friction modifyer, and new pin bolt. I have the part # at home, will post it when I find it.