CTS Turbo?

Reaction score
I found a CTS turbo for $400. Supposedly complete, as it is on the truck now. It is a car dealership that has descided to part the truck out. It is about 250 miles from me, so i can't get a look at it real easily.

I haven't heard of a CTS, is that anything good? bad?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Never heard of a CTS,Wonder if it is actually an ATS.Only heard of 4 turbos for our trucks,The Turbo Shop or something like that,Banks,ATS,and Hypermax.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of it before over on TDS... don't know anything about them though.

Ditto - only I read about it on oilurners, but I don't really know much about them either.

One thing for sure, if it works and is in decent shape and you can get all the pieces, you can't go wrong for $400. I'd be all over that.

I'd even drive the 250 miles to go check it out if they gave me a reasonable assurance that its in useable condition. That's only 3-1/2 to 4 hours drive....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably a turbo made by garret. Any complete turbo that works with all the parts is worth $400 or much more.

Reaction score
Well I got this picture of the engine compartment, looks like no turbo to me? but then I guess none of us knows what a CTS setup looks like...

You must be registered for see images

Oh, it is ON the truck still, and I guess I am going to have to remove it myself. That is good in that I will be sure to get everything. That is bad due to the fact I have no clue what I am doing. :rotflmao

On top of that it is up in Bellingham, so it is even farther than I thought. I did give the guy m y cc # so he says it is mine whenever i can manage to get up there.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should try to get a couple other Oregon/Wash. IDI'ers to go with and help, preferably someone who already has a turbo. It looks like a system that uses the factory air cleaner, which is what the hypermax systems do. Not saying it is that and not a CTS, just that its possible to do it that way.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I'll give ya a hand if you need it. I have wrestled several varieties of turbos off of these trucks, and don't have anything too pressing to do right now.
Try to get that guy to send a picture looking down at the air cleaner or better yet, with the air cleaner off.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'll give ya a hand if you need it. I have wrestled several varieties of turbos off of these trucks, and don't have anything too pressing to do right now.
Try to get that guy to send a picture looking down at the air cleaner or better yet, with the air cleaner off.

Yes some better pics would help.

How do certain turbo systems utilize the stock air-cleaner assembly?

SKimballC

Reaction score
Hypermax is the only one I know of, but as stated before, this 'CTS' system is unknown to all of us.
I did google CTS and found this website.

fireman438

Reaction score
It pains me to say this, but I also called on this turbo and the guy I talked to said that a guy in Oregon had already put $$ on it. Now I know who... Anyway, I also asked what brand it was, and heard "CTS", so I asked "ATS maybe?" and he said "yeah, that sounds right". So, i have a feeling it may be an ATS, although I haven't seen an ATS unit that uses the stock air cleaner.

I'm in Spokane and my wife and will I be heading over to see my out-laws up in Lynden (about 20 mi North of B'ham) the weekend of the 21st (July). I may be able to wrangle some time if you haven't gotten it by then.

Rich

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your offers of help. I don't know when I will be going up. The seller mentioned the possibility of his mechanic removing it for $50. That would be great except then I wouldn't know if it was complete. Can someone suggest any special tools I might need to take with me? I was thinking a sawzall, a couple of floor jacks and stands. etc.

And now I see a Hypermax for sale in Oregon for $650. Same distance though.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Can someone suggest any special tools I might need to take with me? I was thinking a sawzall...

NO! If you are cutting anything out junkyard-style, then you will be replacing those parts, or more likely- pipes. A big ol' can of penetrating oil, however, will be your best friend.