broken oil dipstick?? (pics)

PnrFab

Reaction score
having a really bad oil leak on passenger side of engine, was coating starter with fresh oil. went to emissions to get it passed and when i would rev the motor to the governor i guess oil was pouring out and they wouldnt pass me, leaving big mess on ground. i started to investigate...ok well here is what i found, i loosened the bracket holding the dip stick up on top near the fuel filter, pulled the dipstick out and pulled the tube right out. then i went underneath pulled the starter and removed the rubber plug thing out of the block. (on the left in pic) well after having these items out something is missing because these 2 pieces do not go together. so i headed to the dealer and he said the rubber oring is going to be like 7 bux and the smaller piece (on the left) is like 22 bux. they didn't have them in hand but would by end of day and would call me back....so i think the dipstick tube being broken maybe caused me to over fill and xtra pressure causing it pour out?

so what is missing or is broken here? these 2 pieces do not fit together. is there more then the piece on the left i cant believe that is 22 bux!

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the piece on the left is backwards in the picture.the small end goes into the block and the tube slips into the big end.and as you know there is suposed to be an oring on the end of the tube so when it slips into the smaller piece it will seal and not leak.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The o-rings, You can get a hole lot of them for about 4 clams and the other part is backward like 94f450sd said just make sure You use some gasket maker (not too much) to seal the small piece to the block and if You want a tiny bit on the one with the o-ring (it doesn't really need it since it has an o-ring in it already but I did put some). Now this engines will take 10 - 12 qt of oil depending what filter You are using but no more. I use the psd oil filter and with 10qt is good.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I would not buy an oring from the ford dealer. I did that and the darn thing was too big around to fit in the tube. Maybe international has the right orings. I know tha ones that come in the aftermarket gasket sets are correct, but the one in the little ford bag doesn't fit. It's the right ID but too thick Somebody messed up the catalog on that one. IT's a very thin oring.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never found an o-ring that fits there, get it very clean, use grey rtv and bolt the top back up ,it will not leak for a very long time. I dont know why but grey holds up better.
The other sealer choice would be subaru seal, I can build leak free air cooled vw's with that stuff.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any reason why you can't use a regular oring? I've got to replace my dipstick tube as well. Where does the oring go?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I don't use an o ring ever. Mine looked like they were flat and didn't really fit when they came out so.... I just use some RTV permatex copper plus. It has never leaked or let me down in 30 years....:sly

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken You can get it at any advance auto parts store if there are any around Your area.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Watertown, TN and the closest one is in Lebanon about 45 mins. away, hopefully someone around this town has it, does JB Weld work good for sealing stuff up?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... JB weld will seal most anything but... Its kinda a permainat seal and not likely to come apart easily. Getting things really clean is the most important part of the seal area. You are better off using RTV thats oil proof or at least resistant.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did see that RTV on another web site, and heard it works great, but I never had experience with either JB Weld or RTV, but I need something that is both water proof, oil proof and heat resistant, does JB or RTV work well for all of those?

thanks again

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today when I had my friend over I asked him to see if he could find the dipstick to my 84 Ford f250 6.9 and he said he couldn't even find the hole in the oil pan! how crazy is that, o well looks like I'l have to listen to the engine and tailpipe when I go down the road.... to make sure I'm not burning up the piston rings... LOL :) can anyone give me any advice on how to install one in the current oil pan I have??? thanks

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the yellow handle with the big white arrow pointing to it, that is the dipstick.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online