E4OD recal options

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I need your input.
I purchased a Baumann TCS computer and a recal kit for my truck. I have a choice of 5 shift firmness options from the kit.
The 2 that I am looking at are the mild (for towing per the manual) and a little more aggressive moderate (for street performance). Is the 2nd one going to be too much when towing and actually cause other things to break?
I tow my TT at around 10K when fully loaded.
What would you do?
thanks
Doug

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Why not use the option for running both, just need to wire in a switch to toggle between them. That's what I'll be doing when I set mine up.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a choice I have to make when installing the recal kit, not the computer. I will use both for the computer. But just looking for advice on the recal kit for the trans. I have to enlarge holes in a plate in the trans.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Guys, I need your input.
I purchased a Baumann TCS computer and a recal kit for my truck. I have a choice of 5 shift firmness options from the kit.
The 2 that I am looking at are the mild (for towing per the manual) and a little more aggressive moderate (for street performance). Is the 2nd one going to be too much when towing and actually cause other things to break?
I tow my TT at around 10K when fully loaded.
What would you do?
thanks
Doug

Are you talking about shift settings done in the TCS or the Recal Pro shift kit?

I have the shift kit and I am deliberating the same questions. I originally intended to go with setting 3. Then I talked to a good transmission tech and he explained the shifts are going to be hard when unloaded and crusing. Not what I want, so I will be going with setting 2. Also, I'm going to install the Sonnax valve body kit at the same time. It will increase line pressures and upgrade a few items in the valve body.

Trying to avoid any more electronics!

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Oops! I just reread your post, I would go for the first setting and use the controller to increase it when not towing. You might want to call them to verify.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to them again. He recommended the 1st or 2nd. So I went with #2, will test it tomorrow. Got my fingers crossed that I did not ruin something.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The #2 option is indeed mild.
WOW what a difference. The dually will now break the tires loose at a stop sign. and all the shifts are firmer.
Still do not like how long it takes for the 3-4 shift. but I will fix that with the TCS. Going to go camping first and see how it pulls with just the recal kit.
Was not too bad to put in, more of a fear of the unknown than difficult!
Well worth $100.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
dsblack,

Do you have anymore performance feedback for us? Gonna try to get mine done this coming week.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove the truck for 2 days. I shifts more firm, but still a little slow on the 3-4 shift. That could be quicker.
The real test will come next week. Pulling the TT down to newport oregon for a few days, and we will see how it does then.

took me about 5 hours to install.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Well, my kit is installed. It is at level 3. The orifice that had to be drilled out for the shift level settings was already level 3 size.

It shift very solid but not harsh. I like it! Feels like a truck should shift. It shifts dead on 3300 rpm when you hold it to the floor.

I agree dsblack, worth the $100.00.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just one more update on this kit. After towing this weekend, it is well worth it. With the TT in tow the shifts were firm but not harsh, also the trans temps were better. I still think the one shift takes too long. But I am pleased with this. Also noticed the truck hunts for gears at 35 and 45. The kit must have moved the shift points a little. Or there may be other issues But I will start another thread on some timing concerns.
Doug